cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

ThingShape Home Mashup not inherited

rtaylor-3
1-Newbie

ThingShape Home Mashup not inherited

Greetings,

I've created a ThingShape which contains some properties and a HomeMashup which i wish other Things to use.

When i create MyThing and inherit from GenericThing Template and implement MyThingShape, MyThing HomeMashup is not set to the HomeMashup defined for MyThingShape.

If i create a property on MyThingShape named primaryMashup and give it a default value, then MyThing inherits the properties with the value set.

Is this a bug, or is it not possible to inherit the HomeMashup from a ThingShape?

6 REPLIES 6
paic
1-Newbie
(To:rtaylor-3)

Since a ThingTemplate and thus a Thing can be made up of many ThingShapes, the ThingShape home mashup does not inherit forward into the Template and Thing.

You will need to set the Home Mashup on the ThingTemplate level.

TomDecock
12-Amethyst
(To:paic)

Is it possible to set a 'Template mashup' with an 'EntityName' mashup parameter as the home mashup for a Thing Template ? So that when you open the home mashup for a Thing that implements the template, that Thing's entityname is passed to the mashup parameter ?

I'm intrigued what you are trying to achieve.

I just want to create one mashup with dynamic services from a Thing Template. I want the mashup to show the properties of the Thing (instance from the Template) for which I open this home mashup. Instead of creating a separate home mashup for each Thing. Is that so strange ? It is possible to start from a mashup for the template that lists all implementing things, and then navigate to the selected thing, but I want to directly show a properties page for the Thing for which I open the Home Mashup...

Tom,

The idea of services on a ThingTempate is absolutely the correct approach. The difference for me is your use of home mashups.

The Home Mashup use model I have used is for organizations and the FormLogin which presents the HomeMashup start point.  Also another approach is for using a Mashup as a general start point. Where the Template service are added and the wrapped service retrieve the Things and getProperties or wrapped getProperties returns the properties as required.

If you would like to make the Mashup more generic an approach is to create a ServiceHelper.Thing and add services that are more generic and could provide params to accept a template as a parameter.

There many ways to solve a problem and I can learn from what you are thinking or provide a different viewpoint.

If you have time I would like to understand  the users start point and how the user gets to the Mashup or Mashups you are creating.

Not only Users or Organizations can have 'Home Mashups'. Also Things have them.

Suppose the case where a list of 'events' are written in a stream or data table. One of the fields in the datashape is the Thingname where the event occurred. When consulting the datatable entries using a grid in a mashup, I would like to be able to move to the Home Mashup of the Thing related to the selected record. But I would like to use 1 dynamic mashup that shows the details of the selected 'Implementing Thing Instance' of the template for which I make the mashup. Does that make sense ?

Top Tags