cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Cannot reach my thingworx instance outside the virtual machine

iherreros
5-Regular Member

Cannot reach my thingworx instance outside the virtual machine

Hi there,

I have a Thingworx instance running on a Virtual Machine. I can reach the instance from localhost but I cannot reach it from the outside. We have configured the port forwarding in the router but still not working. I guess this is because the url is not only publicIP:port, am I right? (publicIP:port/Thingworx/Runtime/index.html#master=MACMaster&mashup=MainMashup2)

I am not sure what else we need to do, any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Best regards.

Irene

5 REPLIES 5
CRArko
17-Peridot
(To:iherreros)

Hello, Irene.

Can you ping the VM from outside and maybe telnet to the relevant port? Are there any firewalls in between that might be interfering?

Finally if you just try the URL http://<ip_address:port> by itself do you get the tomcat home page?

Thanks!

-- Craig A.

iherreros
5-Regular Member
(To:CRArko)

HI Craig,

Thanks for coming back to me.

The VM is on a server computer and in a different range so I cannot ping it and telnet says that cannot open the connection to the host.

The thing is we have another software running in the same VM and publishing values on the web, and we can access it from anywhere in the world.  We would like to do the same thing with Thingworx, but it is not working. To access the other software we only need publicIP:port (then the router does port forwarding to the VM), but in the case of Thingworx you need to type more things so we don't know how to achieve this... could be something related to IIS on the server??

If I try the URL http://<ip_address:port> it takes me to the Tomcat homepage.

Many thanks.

Best regards.

iherreros
5-Regular Member

Hi there!

Any idea of how can I achieve this?

Many thanks.

Best regards

qngo
5-Regular Member

Hi, if you can reach Tomcat Homepage, then you can reach ThingWorx with for example: .../Thingwox/FormLogin, right ?

iherreros
5-Regular Member
(To:qngo)

Hi Quang-Dung,

The problem is solved. Somebody forgot to enable the port in the router...

Thanks everybody for your help!

Best regards.

Top Tags