cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Administrator does not have permission to Things Collection Permissions

Ayanava
5-Regular Member

Administrator does not have permission to Things Collection Permissions

I am currently in Things Collection Permissions and whenever I click Edit I get a message 'You do not have the permission to edit Things permissions'.

Is there something I'm missing? I believe the Administrator should be able to makes these changes.

Thanks,

Ayan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ayanava
5-Regular Member
(To:Ayanava)

All,

Thanks for you help. It seemed to fix itself after I restarted Thingworx server.

But I will continue to investigate the root cause of this behaviour and post it here if I find a reason.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
supandey
19-Tanzanite

Hi Ayanava, could you please share which version of ThingWorx are you working with and in which context are you attempting to edit it? What's the use case?

Ayanava
5-Regular Member
(To:supandey)

Hey Sushant,

I am using ThingWorx 8.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by context here, but I can explain what I am trying to do-

I have created an UserGroup and I want users in that group to be able to (let's say) create Things. So I opened ThingWorx from the Administrator login and went ahead to edit Things Collection permission to provide my UserGroup with a Design Time Create permission. But I was not able to edit.

Hope that clears it out.

supandey
19-Tanzanite

Can you please list out all your steps to reproduce the issue. Thanks

Ayanava
5-Regular Member
(To:supandey)

Below are the steps.

1. Login to ThingWorx as Administrator

2. Hover on Things in the left pane.

3. Click on the Permission icon to open the Things Collection Permission tab

4. Click Edit

5. Get error message 'You do not have the permission to edit Things permissions'.

Thanks

supandey
19-Tanzanite

Sorry for the repeated question, but are you doing this directly on a particular Thing? can you share your screenshot from the 2nd and  3rd point you have mentioned in your listed steps. Are you doing this in New Composer or the classic one?

skumar-81
4-Participant

An admin User surely should be able to set collection level permissions of Things.

Best guesses :

1) You are logged in as User who many not actually be part of Administrator Group.

or

2) Long Shot : Your ThingWorx upgrade to 8 is messed up some how.

If you change the collection permission the user cannot see this immediately in composer. You need to do a reload of the composer to see the change. This information is cached and not updated. After the reload the user should see the + sign beside the Object type. I have uploaded a new video regarding ThingWorx and Multi-Tenancy to youtube just some days ago. This should explain the basics quite well. 

Ayanava
5-Regular Member

All,

Thanks for you help. It seemed to fix itself after I restarted Thingworx server.

But I will continue to investigate the root cause of this behaviour and post it here if I find a reason.

Top Tags