cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Unable to start ThingWorx composer

tyadav
1-Newbie

Unable to start ThingWorx composer

Hi,

I am installing the Thingworx 8.1 following the instructions provided in the installation guide and I am unable to run the Thingworx composer. Based on the feedback from previous discussions here, I even downgraded the Tomcat to version8.0.33 but still I am not able to run Thingworx.

During the Tomcat installation, I have kept the port number as 80 (as suggested in the manual) and the Thingworx.war file is copied and pasted in the webapps folder of Tomcat.

Any suggestions on how can I proceed further with the installation and get the Thingworx composer up and running?

Thanks!

Just for further info, I have reinstalled the Tomcat version with Tomcat 8.0.44 (as stated in the manual) and I am keeping the Tomcat port as 8080 and it is working as I did a localhost:8080 check, however I am still unable to launch the Thingworx. even when I tried launching it as localhost:8080/Thingworx.

The Jre version which I am using is jre1.8.0_151

Please see the attached pictures for more details and just for the convenience I am also attaching the Tomcat logs and Thingworx logs.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
visla
14-Alexandrite
(To:tyadav)

Hello everyone!

Just to close this thread:

- Tushar created Case 13908122

- During a WebEx we have reviewed his installation:

# Fresh new ThingWorx 8.1 installation with MSSQL

Using a simplified version of platform-settings.json was showing errors in ApplicationLog related to system_version and system_ownership --> something was wrong with database configuration.

As it is a new installation, we cleaned up the thingworx database and schema to create it from scratch following the documentation.

Additionally, while having Tomcat stopped, we removed Thingworx.war, we deleted ThingWorxStorage and <tomcat install_dir>/webapps/thingworx to also start from scratch the ThingWorx installation. We placed the downloaded Thingworx.war under <tomcat install_dir>/webapps and the downloaded platform-settings.json under /ThingWorx/Platform (with modified db user and password).

Starting again Tomcat worked, ThingWorx could startup... but then we were facing License Issues that we could solve following the KCS Articles:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS271439

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS274132

Finally, ThingWorx started up and Tushar could log in

Good luck in your Master Thesis, Tushar!

Best Regards,

Vanessa

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
supandey
19-Tanzanite

Hi Tushar, the issue appears to be with the persistence provider. Are you using MsSQL? If yes could you check if the platform-settings.json is correctly configured with right instance / username & password?

This is noted in the application log  [message: Failed to create com.thingworx.persistence.mssql.MssqlPersistenceProviderPackage.  Cause was due to 'null']

Hi Sushant Pandey

Do you mean the highlighted portion in the platform-settings.json file? I am using the username and pw for the 'sa' acccount for the MsSQL server 2016.

UPDATE. Hi Sushant Pandey

I after rechecking the steps from the guide, I found out that my JDBC jar file was not in the Tomcat\lib folder, which I corrected. Now I am able to see a blank screen but still can't see the Thingworx composer loading in. Please find the screenshot in the attachment. I am also attaching the application log and tomcat log file for your reference.

tyadav
1-Newbie

Hi Sushant Pandey

Do you mean the highlighted portion in the platform-settings.json file? I am using the username and pw for the 'sa' acccount for the MsSQL server 2016.

UPDATE. Hi Sushant Pandey

I after rechecking the steps from the guide, I found out that my JDBC jar file was not in the Tomcat\lib folder, which I corrected. Now I am able to see a blank screen but still can't see the Thingworx composer loading in. Please find the screenshot in the attachment. I am also attaching the application log and tomcat log file for your reference.

TW_4.png

posipova
20-Turquoise

2017-10-30 20:53:06.411+0100 [L: ERROR] [O: c.t.s.ThingWorxServer] [I: ] [U: SuperUser] [S: ] [T: localhost-startStop-1] [message: Connections could not be acquired from the underlying database!]

Please reformat your  platform-settings.json file to match the following (with the licensing string per the 8.1 installation guide at the end):

{

"PersistenceProviderPackageConfigs": {

"MssqlPersistenceProviderPackage": {

"ConnectionInformation": {

"driverClass": "com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver",

"jdbcUrl": "jdbc:sqlserver://localhost:1433;databaseName=thingworx;applicationName=Thingworx;",

"password": "ts",

"username": "twadmin"

}

}

}

}

Hi Polina,

Thanks for your reply. As per your suggestion, I have tried incorporating your code in the platform-settings.json file but unfortunately it is not working. I tried various ways by formatting and reformatting the json file (once with only the persistance package block, the next time with the entire settings given in the installation guide pdf alongwith the licenscing settings etc. but unfortunately, nothing works)., at some instances I was getting the blank screen like before, whereas at others I was getting a 404 error.

I have installed the ThingworxPlatform folder in the same drive where Tomcat is installed (following the instruction in the guide, which said 'root' where Tomcat was installed)

Maybe I am not writing/formatting something in the correct way as I am pretty new to programming and Thingworx in particular, so it would be a great help if you could give a sample of how the basic(operational) final platform-settings.json file should look like so I can made the relevant changes and get the platform going on.

Again for your reference, I am attaching the Application and Catalina logs.

Thanks!

jdass
12-Amethyst

Hi Tushar ,

This is the basic format of platform-settings.json for Thingworx 8.1

{
"PersistenceProviderPackageConfigs": {
  "MssqlPersistenceProviderPackage": {
   "ConnectionInformation": {
    "driverClass": "com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver",
    "jdbcUrl": "jdbc:sqlserver://localhost:1433;databaseName=thingworx;applicationName=Thingworx;",
    "password": "*******",
    "username": "twadmin"
   }
  }
},
"PlatformSettingsConfig": {
  "LicensingConnectionSettings": {
   "username": "*******",
   "password": "*******",
   "activationIds": "########,########,########"

}
}
}

tyadav
1-Newbie
(To:jdass)

Hi Janet,

Thanks for letting me know the correct format for the platform-settings.json file (I was trying in the similar format earlier).

Unfortunately, I am still not able to launch the Thingworx composer. The application log points out an error that 'Could not handle request' However when I further added the stream processor settings etc. in the file, it started displaying the HTTP status 404 error citing the resources are not available.

Any idea what might be causing this and how to resolve this?

I am attaching the application log as well for your reference as well as the two screenshots at various instances

Thanks!

jdass
12-Amethyst

Tushar ,

Could you attach your platform-settings.json as well?

tyadav
1-Newbie
(To:jdass)

Hi Janet,

Please find the platform-settings.json file. Please let me know if something else is required as well. Also If it makes any sense, please find the screenshot of manager app page of Tomcat. It says Thingworx deployed as 'false'

Update: The Application logs are also not updating today for TW. What maybe the reason for this?

Thanks!

posipova
20-Turquoise

Do you have your TCP/IP ports open?

Hi Polina,

Yes I have. Please find the attach screenshots.

Also If it makes any sense, please find the screenshot of manager app page of Tomcat. It says Thingworx deployed as 'false'

Update: The Application logs are also not updating today for TW. What maybe the reason for this?

posipova
20-Turquoise

This makes me wonder if the thingworx.war file supplied might be corrupted. Even if the database doesn't get connected, the application should still say true.

Hi,

So what should be the next steps how can we rectify it? Should I ask my thesis supervisor to download a different version or what?

Update: I re installed Thingworx.war file and pasted it in the Tomcat webapps folder and repeated the steps, and yet I am getting the 404 error again and again. Also, the strange thing is that the Thingworx application log is not updating and I am not able to see the errors and understand how to proceed?  Is there a way to just reset everything and start the process again from the scratch, as in how will the Thingworx storage(and its files) and Thingworx Backupstorage folders will be created again etc.?

Thanks!

Hi Polina,

This is to give you an update that I have been trying to resolve the error by reading about possible errors and based on reading the application logs I think the error is related to the platformsettings file. When I don't put the platform-settings.json file in the T !hingworxPlatform folder, the Tomcat manager shows Thingwrx application status as 'True' but it gives a blank screen at localhost:8080\Thingworx, whereas as soon as I place the platform-settings.json file in the ThingworxPlatform folder the Tomcat manager start showing the thingworx application status as 'False' and the localhost:8080\Thingworx starts showing a 404 error.

Also the version which I have is 7.4, which was provided under the SCO license and I have re installed the entire thing based on the 7.4 installation guide along with re installing MS SQL Server 2014. I see 50+ tables in the database (please find the attached pictures).

Please find the latest attachments.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Tushar

visla
14-Alexandrite

Hello everyone!

Just to close this thread:

- Tushar created Case 13908122

- During a WebEx we have reviewed his installation:

# Fresh new ThingWorx 8.1 installation with MSSQL

Using a simplified version of platform-settings.json was showing errors in ApplicationLog related to system_version and system_ownership --> something was wrong with database configuration.

As it is a new installation, we cleaned up the thingworx database and schema to create it from scratch following the documentation.

Additionally, while having Tomcat stopped, we removed Thingworx.war, we deleted ThingWorxStorage and <tomcat install_dir>/webapps/thingworx to also start from scratch the ThingWorx installation. We placed the downloaded Thingworx.war under <tomcat install_dir>/webapps and the downloaded platform-settings.json under /ThingWorx/Platform (with modified db user and password).

Starting again Tomcat worked, ThingWorx could startup... but then we were facing License Issues that we could solve following the KCS Articles:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS271439

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS274132

Finally, ThingWorx started up and Tushar could log in

Good luck in your Master Thesis, Tushar!

Best Regards,

Vanessa

posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:visla)

Great job! Thank you for updating the thread.

tyadav
1-Newbie
(To:visla)

Hi everyone, yes there was a huge mix up.

ThingWorx composer is running now.

Thanks Vanesa Isla​ for all the help with this issue.

Top Tags