cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How can I give a standard (non-admin) user import/export permissions in Composer?

rwiseman
1-Newbie

How can I give a standard (non-admin) user import/export permissions in Composer?

I've tried (as admin) changing permissions on ExportImportSubsytem, CollectionFunctions and ExportFile.  None of these enables the "From File" or "To File" options in the Import/Export menu: they're still greyed out for the (non-admin) user.

Also, if I ever manage to allow the non-admin user to export entities, can I assume that they will only be able to export entities that they already have permission to see?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:posipova)

Fixed in 8.2.0, 8.2.1, 8.3.0

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:rwiseman)

Hi Richard Wiseman​, it is not possible to set up export/import to/from file on a non-administrator user, but the non -admin users may export/import source controlled entities (respective collection permissions required on the SourceControlFunctions resource). To answer the second part of your questions -- correct, a non-admin user would only be able to export those entities they have the permissions for.

Thanks Polina, that helps.

It took me a while to work out how to properly use Export Source Control Entities: I didn't realise that it would export to the SystemRepository rather than offering the zip file as a download.

So my next question...  Is the SystemRepository accessible via the user's browser?  I'm guessing probably not, since it's essentially a shared area.  In my set-up, the non-admin user does not have access to the filing system on the machine running ThingWorx, so they can't export Source Control Entities and then retrieve the zip file.  I guess I might have to implement something myself to allow access...

posipova
20-Turquoise

Correct, systemrepository would not be accessible due to security, but you may think of a workaround creating an accesible url for the repository perhaps?

For the second issue - are you able to open a support ticket? If not, I will create one on your behalf and investigate.

(In addition, if any of the answers in the topic or future topics resolve your question - could you please mark those are "correct"? That would help other participants as well when they are looking for the similar questions and see the topics that are resolved. Thank you)

Thanks Polina.  I did actually mark your original answer as correct but then when I discovered the security issue I unmarked the answer to avoid misleading other readers on that point.

I don't think I have the ability to raise a support ticket, so I would be grateful if you could do that for me.  Let me know if you need any further information.  I'm on v7.3.0 in case you need to know that.

posipova
20-Turquoise

I've created a ticket in your name and currently investigating, for your reference the ticket number is 13560234 .  Thank you for your time and patience!

Thanks.  I can't view the case online (I get an access denied message) but presumably I'll receive email updates!

posipova
20-Turquoise

Let me know if you did receive the email I've just sent. To keep this thread updated as well: I was not able to export any of the entities that my user had no permissions on with the source control export.

Regarding the second question (about visibility), from my tests it looks like the permissions are NOT honoured when exporting Source Control Entities!

I've got an entity that the non-admin user definitely cannot access -- it contains a password that they're not to know -- but that entity appears in the exported zip file, and its properties (including the password) are present.

posipova
20-Turquoise

Submitted  a Jira PSPT-3397.

maboni
3-Visitor

Did you receive any suggestion?

Nothing beyond the Jira issue...

posipova
20-Turquoise

It's still in Triage state. I will post an update to this thread once there is any progress.

posipova
20-Turquoise
(To:posipova)

Fixed in 8.2.0, 8.2.1, 8.3.0

Top Tags