cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Has anyone connected a ThingWorx mashup to a SharePoint Document Library?

jwilliams11
6-Contributor

Has anyone connected a ThingWorx mashup to a SharePoint Document Library?

I am trying to connect to a document library in SharePoint 2010 from ThingWorx, so that users can access documents from the library within ThingWorx without having to go into SharePoint.  (I tried using a ThingWorx file repository to store the documents, but it didn't have the features/capabilities needed.)  I am looking into using the SharePoint REST API, but am unsure as to what syntax I should use within the JavaScript panel for a Thing.  Has anyone successfully done this or knows how and can provide guidance?

Thanks,

Jeff

10 REPLIES 10
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:jwilliams11)

What particular features do you need that Sharepoint provides?

jwilliams11
6-Contributor
(To:PaiChung)

Here are the primary reasons why we want to use SharePoint for document management in conjunction with our ThingWorx solution:

- Permissions can be assigned at the subfolder and document levels.

- It identifies who uploaded and last modified a document

- Documents and subfolders can be viewed in Explorer view and removed or added in bulk

- Powerful full-context search engine

- Workflows can be fired based on activity in the document library (not currently a requirement, but potentially useful)

- The customer owns SharePoint and is accustomed to it

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Would it suffice to present the Sharepoint site within a ThingWorx Webframe?

jwilliams11
6-Contributor
(To:PaiChung)

No, because we need ThingWorx to truly interact with SharePoint, so that we can associate records maintained in ThingWorx with documents maintained in SharePoint.  Essentially, I'd like to be able to associate links to specific files maintained SharePoint with transaction records maintained in ThingWorx.  I'm certainly open to suggestions other than using the SharePoint REST API to make this happen, but it appears that the REST API is going to be the best means for us to accomplish our goals.

In order to make a REST API call to some external site, checkout the ContentLoader Resource, e.g.

var prm = {

url: "YOUR_URL_HERE",

timeout: 60

};

var json = Resources["ContentLoaderFunctions"].PostJSON(prm);

Hope this helps!

Thanks to some help I received from ThingWorx, I was able to make a SOAP web service (GetList) call to SharePoint, so I'll focus on using SOAP calls going forward instead of REST.  Onward to the next challenge!

SvenR
13-Aquamarine

Hi,

did they point you to some specific documentation about how to do it?

I am now at a similar point and would need to get a list of results of a library in Sharepoint based on the part number for display in the PTC Navigate App...

greetings

How to make a soap web service call to other software from TWX,Could you give me some detail?Thankyou

I would really appreciate it if you could send me your solution aswell. I have a similar problem that I am facing right now.

Best,

Philip

jwilliams11
6-Contributor
(To:pdahmen)

Philip,

We ended up using ThingWorx's file repository to store files related to the transactions we're tracking in our database.  My customer still uses SharePoint and another documentation management tool to store the final versions of the files, but the TWX file repository worked out to be the most convenient means to allow users from both inside and outside our network to exchange files throughout the course of a transaction.  Sorry I couldn't provide you the answer you were looking for.

Regards,

Jeff

Top Tags