cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Eyewear support for sequences

ClayHelberg
17-Peridot

Eyewear support for sequences

Hi--

I'm trying to develop a Hololens experience based on a sequence in my PVZ. But we are having some trouble getting the sequence to display correctly. The sequence works perfectly in Creo View, in a regular AR experience (mobile), and in the browser preview for the Eyewear experience. But when it runs on the actual Hololens, it breaks in a couple of different ways:

• One of the components (modelItems) in the sequence moves in the wrong direction--it should move away from the thingmark, but instead moves toward it
  • After another component moves and fades out, the sequence seems to abort, sometimes taking the entire Thingworx app with it

Is this a known issue with the Hololens app? If so, what is the timetable for app updates, and when can we expect fixes for this? In the meantime, is there a workaround, e.g. avoid certain effects or otherwise tweak the sequence so it is more compatible with Hololens?

If it is not a known issue, I would like to make it known now. 🙂 If it's helpful, I can share project data to help troubleshoot it. Thanks!

--Clay

11 REPLIES 11

Hi Clay. What version of Creo Illustrate did you use to create the sequence? There are some compatibility issues with hololens and sequences created in Creo 4.0/4.1. If you have used these versions, please try creating the sequence in a 3.0 release.

Hi Tara--

Yes, I did use 4.0 to create the sequence. I will try your suggestion and save from Creo Illustrate 3.0 and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip!

Do you have any estimated timeline for when Creo Illustrate 4.x sequences will be supported?

--Clay

Hi Tara--

I tried your suggestion, and rebuilt my sequence in Creo Illustrate 3.0. Unfortunately, it didn't fix all the issues. In particular, we are seeing some scaling artifacts, where modelItems that move are blowing up and becoming enormous.

If you like I can attach a copy of the PVZ file we are using in the experience for testing. It's fairly large, so I'll only send it if you think it would be helpful.

--Clay

Hi Clay. Apologies for the delayed response. Is the modelitem issue only happening within a HoloLens experience?  Is this the only issue you are still facing with your sequences now that you've used Illustrate 3.0?

Hi Tara--

Thanks for the reply, and no worries about the delay, due to the holiday no doubt.

To answer your first question: yes, the problem only happens on Hololens. In Creo View, in Thingworx Studio, and in Thingworx View on Android and iOS, everything works fine.

Regarding the second question, honestly, it's hard to tell, because the objects get so big that it's hard to track their movement. The sequence doesn't seem to make it back to its reset state.

I was able to get around the problem by abandoning the Creo Illustrate sequence and use Javascript to move modelItems instead. That seems to work reasonably well on Hololens.

Another issue we're having: the registration between the actual physical thingmark and the Hololens' idea of where the thingmark is is off. The green tracking hexagon visually coincides with the physical thingmark when it is first scanned, but the distance is often incorrect, such that the green hexagon floats either in front of, or sometimes behind, the actual thingmark. This makes it difficult to make AR items align correctly relative to physical objects.

--Clay

Hi Tara--

We've figured out the part about the registration of the thingmark, so you can ignore that piece. We are still struggling with the sequence issue however.

--Clay

shuaib
6-Contributor
(To:ClayHelberg)

Hi Clay,

I also have been facing same issue while scanning the thingmark. It is getting scan and fixing at some distance (offset to real position of thingmark). Can you tell me how did you figure out this issue or what fixes you have for it . 

Thanks,

Shuaib

Hi Shuaib--

In a Hololens experience, the dimensions of the thingmark in Thingworx Studio have to match EXACTLY the actual printed dimension. If your printed thingmark is 6" across, then you have to set the scale on the thingmark object in Thingworx Studio to 0.1524 (because 6" = 0.1524m). Adjust the size of either the thingmark in the project or the printed version to make them match, and the problem should go away.

--Clay

shuaib
6-Contributor
(To:ClayHelberg)

Thanks Clay. Your solution is working perfectly 🙂 .

Excellent!

Does already exist a solution for the problem with the wrong movements in the MS Hololens?

I have the same issue. I created an Augmeted Reality Application with Creo Illustrate 3.1 and everything works fine in the preview in ThingWorx Studio and on a Mobile Device. But when trying it with Hololens some of the sequences make completely wrong movements than they should.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Top Tags