cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

[Newbie] Lego Mindstorms EV3 IoT/AR

lpeuckmann
1-Newbie

[Newbie] Lego Mindstorms EV3 IoT/AR

Hello Guys.

For our studies in mechanical engineering our group has to design, programm and build a sorting Robot with the Lego Mindstorms EV3 - Kit.

So far so good.

A few days ago i stumbled over thingworx studio and the app thingworx view. Created my first AR - Experiences with it and came to the conclusion, that i want our Robot to be capable of IoT and to have an AR - Experience, which displays some Information from the Robot. Such as the colour it is scanning and sorting momentary for example.

And here comes the reason why I opened this thread.

Our group has like zero experience with programming at all. We just had some lectures of C++ and ended them with creating arrays and how to save Output-Data in a Word document.

And the questions I am having right now are the following ones:

-Does anybody has experiences with implementing an Lego Robot (EV3) into thingworx?

-Which programming languages would be suitable for the solution? (We are currently using RobotC for our Robot, which may cause some trouble because it is not really C)

-How does the creation of an IoT solution actually work? (I am imagining a process that looks like the following: Robot gives Output to a PC which has thingworx installed onto it, in thingworx          I create a Thing which is filled with data from the Robot, in thingworx studios I place a 3D-Label which is fed by the thing.)

-How do I import data into the thingworx platform? (I sadly have not found a suiting tutorial yet)

-Is it possible to also "reverse" the data flow, so that it would be possible to manipulate for example speed of the robot through the thingworx view app?

I would like to use this discussion for me to ask constantly new questions because we will surely get a lot of problems till we have a running solution.

In the end we will probably have a nice guide for newbies with Lego to get their own IoT application up and running.

Best regards and many thanks in advance

Lars Peuckmann.

1 REPLY 1

ThingWorx community is here: https://community.ptc.com/t5/IoT-AR/ct-p/IoTAR

Top Tags