cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How to reduce / group / combine the amount of model items in TWX Studio with Creo Illustrate?

rhaase
1-Newbie

How to reduce / group / combine the amount of model items in TWX Studio with Creo Illustrate?

Hi,

I have an issue with the amount of model items and how to reduce them. I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Detailed:

In TWX Studio I want to use the slider to reduce the opacity of the animated CAD model (.pvz) I got from a client. Unfortunately it only works if I bind the opacity of the model items with the slider. Due to the fact that this CAD file has more than 50 model items it would be too much effort to do it this way. So my approach is to somehow reduce the model items by grouping/combining them with Creo Illustrate (if possible) to get the opacity slider work. Do you have any idea how this could be realized?

Best regards,

Robert

4 REPLIES 4
mwassmann
5-Regular Member
(To:rhaase)

Hej Robert,

this is clearly a question on the data quality of the 3D Cad you are trying to work with.

I can't see the hierarchy of your 3D Cad and just make assumptions.

If it is an assembly that has no hirarchy in it - saying everything is on level 0 you could regroup things using Creo Illustrate "edit structure" function.

Thus you would gain hierarchy levels - like 0/1/  0/1/2 etc - resulting in component occurence IDs

By using the upper levels inside studio you would then have a group level "model-item".

Thats just one way....

Martin

Hi,

I already tried the Edit Structure Function and grouped / combined Parts out the the assembly. But I couldn't notice any change in TWX Studio for the model items. It also seems that an hierarchy already exists in the assembly at least a tree structure. I would appreciate any more detailed help to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Robert

mwassmann
5-Regular Member
(To:rhaase)

Hej Robert,

first you need to understand that each part in an assembly has a hierarchical ID - called sbom ID / or occurence ID.

below are three examples to display the concept of that.

Those occurence IDs are reachable from thingworx studio. Which means when putting a model-item you can change the occurence ID of this item to the "wanted" item. (Be aware that positions in the room may change, when changing to items that are not belonging to the same root).

Whenever your model has those hierarchys and a good data quality and structure you can reuse that.

If that is not the case you need to regroup parts / create new sub assemblies as wanted.  All below.

Within Tools -> Edit Structure:

those items receive new sbom ids / occurence ids that can be used with modelitems in studio.

Hi Martin,

thanks a lot to your detailed input. The hint that the CAD Model has a sBOM ID path that is connected to the Component Occurence in ThingWorx Studio was the breakthrough here. Now I can specifically edit the path of the model item in TWX Studio via the Details Pane -> Component Occurence.

----- UPDATE------

Sorry. I've been a litlle bit to fast with my comment. Everything works fine as soon as I do not select a sequence. In this case the Opacity function only works for the parts where there is nothing below. Is there another hint that could help me to solve this issue. I appreciate any.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Robert

Top Tags