cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Creo Parametric Community Challenge 5 - Curves and Sweeps

DaveMartin
16-Pearl

Creo Parametric Community Challenge 5 - Curves and Sweeps

DaveMartin_0-1709131328724.jpeg

This month’s challenge is a part design problem based around curves and sweeps:

• Using part modeling features, design a twisted wire pair that passes through at least three non-planar points.
  • (Bonus) Using Flat-to-Screen 3D Annotations, create parametric notes so that a user can modify the twisted pair. For example, diameter of the wires or rate of twist (similar to the pitch of a helical sweep). Is your modeling robust enough to handle dimension changes?
  • (Extra) Model 2, 3, or 4 twisted pairs that travel along the same trajectory, similar to a CAT6 cable.
  • (Super Challenge) Can you make two twisted pairs that twist around each other?

Post a picture or pictures of your work as well as the models. Indicate what version of Creo you used. This challenge is based on a technique I saw in a PTC newsletter 20 years ago, so this can be done using a standard license of Creo (or even Wildfire or Pro/ENGINEER). Note that this is NOT a cabling challenge; you should use part modeling features. However, you may want to consider Multibody Modeling. It’s also perfectly acceptable to perform the challenge in an assembly.

As always, this is a community challenge, so you can build off the work of others. (Please indicate if you have done so.) Also, you may take advantage of any articles in the PTC Knowledge Base or previous community posts.

Have fun!

Find the PTC Creo Community Challenge Guidelines here!

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.mcaeconsulting.com
20 REPLIES 20
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:DaveMartin)

Here is on I did a few years ago for a model bridge contest.  It is a three wire twisted cable routed as a suspension bridge cable.

kdirth_0-1709138268952.png

kdirth_1-1709138293458.png

I will have to try the other bonus challenges later.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:kdirth)

Here is an example of 4 twisted pairs, twisted in cable jacket.

kdirth_0-1710274122595.png

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

NGA_CHASSIS_62-8276_R01_ASM.JPG5417-1130_ml_rgt_asm-01.pngcoiled_spiral-01.png2021-06-29_WRAP_RECT_SPRING-02.jpg2019-04-29_LOBED_VOICECOIL-01.jpg62-8240_BALUN_TRANSFORMER.jpg2019-02-13_spiral_spring-01.jpg

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

spira_wave_spring3-01.png

Fiddix
6-Contributor

here is my first try

i tried to make it parametrable and robust as i can ...

made with Creo 4

challenge_mars.JPG

Very nice!

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Fiddix)

@Fiddix 

This one is by far my favorite simply because you used "twisted pitch"!!

Constantin
13-Aquamarine

Also did this many years ago.
I guess, if you know how this works the other variants are a laborious task.

Constantin_0-1710245332594.png

bbrejcha_1-1710874492871.jpeg

Notice the braid weaves. Also from WEEK ONE surfacing but we often skip this one for sake of time.   This product goes into the body thru the femoral artery up thru to the heart to open things up a little. Can you name the manufacture of this part? 

bbrejcha_0-1710874421321.jpeg

Sort of like the wave washer but this one wheel the military is interested in .... Rolls over anything eating rocks in it's path. Name the manufacture of this part. This example is from my Wednesday of the WEEK ONE Surfacing intensive. 

bbrejcha_0-1710875327065.png

grabbed this one off the design engine instagram wayback 

I could do it in Creo Harness Module too 😉 

Bart Brejcha designengine.com 

False alarm on accepting this as the solution. I got the post notification on my phone. Despite having haptics disabled, every time I pick up my iPhone it triggers some action.

All those examples from the previous post were from past teaching classes and projects. Note the top one from the above post is not just twisted but in fact weaves using variable SIN vs COS.  The bottom post from above is definitely twisting and is used in medical for surgery.   In today's monthly Design Engine lunch and learn I showed the participants part of the solution here. 😉   

bbrejcha_0-1710985283359.png

Bart Brejcha designengine.com

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:bbrejcha)

Is there a reason the blue wire's length will be so much longer because instead of twisting like a normal twisted pair, the blue wire is basically just circling around the white wire?  Just curious.

Circling vs twisting?    I used the same equation for both the wires using 'Copy and paste special' and to get the wires to twist. I simply extended the trajectory by half of the coil length. Are you suggesting that I may have made a mistake?  I make those sometimes.   I suppose I should have uploaded the model.  I did it in Creo 10 tho.

Bart Brejcha bart@designengine.com designengine.com 

kdirth
20-Turquoise

The more efficient and accurate twist is created by sweeping a line centered on the spline and rotating based on trajpar.  Then follow the edge of the resulting ribbon for the sweep to get the wire.

kdirth_0-1711139667665.png

kdirth_1-1711139695845.png

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Mistake is relative.  The question was, was the intent to twist the wire so that both lengths are equal, or was the intent to circle the white wire with the blue wire?  Typically in a "twisted pair" (used to cancel electrical "noise" the same length wire is used and they are both twisted equally (as show in my and other's examples).  It appears from your example that the blue wire is much longer.  I was questioning what the intent was, that's all.

I watched a friend braid her hair with two strands last night and it made my head hurt thinking about it.   lol    I reconstructed it as was suggested.  The example blue wire is shorter at the bottom and longer at the top.  *same length 

Bart Brejcha bart@designengine.com  designengine.com

kdirth
20-Turquoise

My wife is always wanting me to braid her hair or our daughters' hair.  I have mastered the French braid and reversed French braid as well as the two strand.  For a challenge I learned the 4 strand braid.  I have now recreated it in Creo first creating 4 curves from equation then adapting it to a 3D curve in Creo 7.

kdirth_0-1712589087236.png

kdirth_1-1712589161497.png

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

"I simply extended the trajectory by half of the coil length."  If by that you mean that the blue wire is further out from the "spine" trajectory then yes, the blue wire IS revolving around the white wire as is evident visually and WILL be longer.  My examples and the one by kdirth (where each wire is on OPPOSITE sides of the spine trajectory) are what would occur with a normal "twisted pair" and would have equal lengths.

I did something similar a few years ago using Sweep in Wildfire. 

I redid it using same approach but in Creo 8. 

2 wires twisted no sleave.

Bogdan_M_0-1711647667121.png

2 wires twisted with sleave.

Bogdan_M_1-1711647735179.png

2 by 2 twisted no sleave using different pitch.

Bogdan_M_2-1711648130956.png

2 by 2 twisted with sleave using different pitch.

Bogdan_M_3-1711648162123.png

4 by 2 twisted no sleave using different pitch.

Bogdan_M_4-1711648205589.png

4 by 2 twisted with sleave using different pitch.

Bogdan_M_5-1711648242114.png

parameters/relations can be added to control the number of wires or the pitch.

Let me know if you have questions!

Bogdan

Just two more days to submit your response to the Curves and Sweeps challenge! Submissions will close On Friday, April 12th.

Thanks as always to @DaveMartin for orchestrating this challenge!

Top Tags