cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

HELP over Creating a Complex Model

AH_10155331
5-Regular Member

HELP over Creating a Complex Model

Hello Community, I am working on a Modified Wing Project, For that I want to place a Film like structure over an existing wing. Is there any way to place a rigid object as curved over a curved surface. I have attached all the necessary images and files. help me out on this. Suggest me any method where i can arrive at my end result

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AH_10155331
5-Regular Member
(To:pausob)

Thank you, I  finally got what I wanted to do 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

To place a film-like structure over an existing wing in Creo Parametric, especially if both are curved, you can utilize several features that Creo offers. Here's a general approach:

1. **Utilize the 'Surface Copy' Feature**: If the film structure should follow the exact curvature of the wing, use the Surface Copy feature. This allows you to replicate the wing's surface onto which the film can be modeled.

2. **Create a New Part for the Film**: It’s often best to model the film as a separate part. This way, you can manage it independently and assemble it onto the wing, maintaining a clean model structure.

3. **Use 'Offset Surface' or 'Thicken' Feature**: To give thickness to the film (if needed), you can use the Offset Surface feature to create a parallel surface at a specified distance (the thickness of your film) from the copied surface. Alternatively, the Thicken feature can turn a surface into a solid by adding material on one side, both sides, or symmetrically.

4. **Apply Boundary Blend or Freeform Surfaces for Complex Shapes**: If the film has complex edges or needs to conform to a non-standard shape, use Boundary Blend or Freeform surface features to create the exact shape of the film.

5. **Assembling the Film on the Wing**: Once you have modeled the film, you can assemble it onto the wing in an assembly file using constraints that align it perfectly with the wing surface.

6. **Consider Material Properties**: If the film's material properties are crucial (e.g., rigidity, flexibility), ensure these are defined in the material properties of the film part. This is essential if you plan to conduct simulation or analysis later.

7. **Adjust for Manufacturing Constraints**: If the film is to be manufactured separately, consider how it will be shaped and attached to the wing. Incorporate features like tabs, slots, or adhesive areas as necessary in the design.

Remember, the complexity of the task depends significantly on the precise geometry of the wing and the film. For intricate designs, iterative refining of the film part might be necessary to ensure a perfect fit.

~ CreoVerse

Michael P Bourque
Boston Regional User Group

I'd say you should look into the "Flatten Quilt / Deformation" tools

pausob_0-1709662089529.png

Basically you will: 1) Flatten your curved wing surface to obtain a flat quilt.  2) deform the (flat) textured surface to the shape of the curved wing using the (reverse) deformation from step 1..

AH_10155331
5-Regular Member

Thank You for Helping me out, I managed to get my intended result, but now the problem is the flatten quilt feature which was formed earlier. I can only able to hide it,  when exporting as an STEP or IGES file the flat quilt is also there, I want to suspend the Flat quilt without suspended other parts like the extruded features and flat-quilt deformation.

You will have to check your export settings.  For example, when doing the save-as, click on the "Options" button and then make sure you are not exporting hidden or construction entities.

pausob_0-1709747416816.png

AH_10155331
5-Regular Member

Thank you, I  finally got what I wanted to do 

@AH_10155331 

In my opinion, the use of "Flatten Quilt / Deformation" has an impact on your design intent.

The fish's scales do not deform according to its body structure (NACA), but rather change the orientation.

Top Tags