cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

What is the best Practice to handle database for AMU and CWC?

Suraj_Patil
15-Moonstone

What is the best Practice to handle database for AMU and CWC?

i have installed AMU in server with one database instance on MSSMS.

Now i want to install CWC on same server with some database.

As per Documentation Of PTC help center, We can same instance for both or We can use two different database instance for both apps.

I want to know what's the best practice to follow in such scenario?

Should i keep same instance or different for AMU and CWC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The best practice is to use the same database (I think that's what you mean by Instance).

But like I mentioned in my previous reply, there is the possibility to use 2 different databases, however they cannot connect to the same Thingworx. So if you want to do that, you need Thingworx #1 linked to the AMU database and Thingworx #2 linked to the CWC database. There's 2 reasons for this : 

- CWC & AMU share multiple components in Composer. For example the Global Configuration Thing, PTC.FSU.CORE.GlobalConfiguration.GlobalConfiguration_TG. And you cannot have 2 components with the same name in Thingworx. And this includes the components to connect to the AMU & CWC database.

- The screens can only connect to 1 database at a time. For example, in the equipment configuration screen (my screenshot in my previous reply), we can't have a version of that screen that looks at AMU and another version that looks at CWC. If you want that, you need 2 Thingworx databases. And we can't have 1 screen connecting to 2 databases at the same time and adding the results.

Keep in mind there may be limitations to running 2 Thingworxs on the same web server. You can have all databases on the same SQL server. But the web server part will be tricky. To make it easier, we suggest putting the 2 Thingworxs on 2 different web servers. 

Recap : either you have 1 database that has both AMU and CWC, or you separate them in 2 Thingworxs + AMU + CWC.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi Suraj

AMU and CWC share the same database. You should be able to run the CWC installer, it will be very similar to the AMU installation but it should say part of it is already installed and skip the steps that are common between the 2 extensions, it will only do the CWC-specific steps.

Here is an example from one of our test servers, that has all extensions : AMU, CWC and RTPPM. Notice the Assets (AMU) have their icons and Stations (CWC) have a different icon.

mstarnaud_0-1705517509115.png

Please pay attention to the configuration guide, in particular to the equipment types, you will need to re-configure part of them. In this case in particular, you'll need to create the Station equipment type for CWC. Some other configurations may be required for CWC (that wasn't needed for AMU).

If you want to use different databases, you will also need a 2nd installation of Thingworx. AMU would be linked to Thingworx #1 and CWC would be linked to Thingworx #2. Usually the option to use the same database is preferred.

hi mstarnaud,

yes, i understand and gone through the documentation as well of CWC and AMU. it advisable to keep same database instance in MSSMS. but what i am saying is in same MSSMS, i will create different instance for CWC

is that works? 

or its compulsion to keep same instance 

if we keep separate database instance, will it create any problem when data need to exchange between AMU and CWC?

i tried to create separate database as of now on my local system as shown i below screenshot. it went well.

Suraj_Patil_0-1705560984265.png

in fact it doesn't shown any difference on UI as well shown in Screenshot below. 

Suraj_Patil_1-1705561114101.png

I am just trying to check all here feasibility and possible solutions here before installing on actual servers as uninstalling is little chaos.

Thanks,

Suraj Patil

The best practice is to use the same database (I think that's what you mean by Instance).

But like I mentioned in my previous reply, there is the possibility to use 2 different databases, however they cannot connect to the same Thingworx. So if you want to do that, you need Thingworx #1 linked to the AMU database and Thingworx #2 linked to the CWC database. There's 2 reasons for this : 

- CWC & AMU share multiple components in Composer. For example the Global Configuration Thing, PTC.FSU.CORE.GlobalConfiguration.GlobalConfiguration_TG. And you cannot have 2 components with the same name in Thingworx. And this includes the components to connect to the AMU & CWC database.

- The screens can only connect to 1 database at a time. For example, in the equipment configuration screen (my screenshot in my previous reply), we can't have a version of that screen that looks at AMU and another version that looks at CWC. If you want that, you need 2 Thingworx databases. And we can't have 1 screen connecting to 2 databases at the same time and adding the results.

Keep in mind there may be limitations to running 2 Thingworxs on the same web server. You can have all databases on the same SQL server. But the web server part will be tricky. To make it easier, we suggest putting the 2 Thingworxs on 2 different web servers. 

Recap : either you have 1 database that has both AMU and CWC, or you separate them in 2 Thingworxs + AMU + CWC.

Thanks for clarification...

suraj patil 

Top Tags