cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

ptc_d and lockfiles

DC_9962934
3-Visitor

ptc_d and lockfiles

I need to support two licence files (different companies) on the same server.  Its easy enough to set the ports to different numbers, but ptc_d insists on creating lockptc_d in /var/tmp.  Setting TMPDIR doesn't seem to help.   Does anyone know a way (or an environment variable) to force it to create its lockfile elsewhere?   The issue is that when starting the second server, it can't open the lockfile and then dies.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@DC_9962934 wrote:

I need to support two licence files (different companies) on the same server.  Its easy enough to set the ports to different numbers, but ptc_d insists on creating lockptc_d in /var/tmp.  Setting TMPDIR doesn't seem to help.   Does anyone know a way (or an environment variable) to force it to create its lockfile elsewhere?   The issue is that when starting the second server, it can't open the lockfile and then dies.

Thanks,

Since you are apparently running this on Linux you could run each license server in its own container.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:DC_9962934)

A quick Google search seems to indicate this is intentional.  Is there some reason you can't just combine the license files and then use the options file to control who is allowed to access each license (and how many)?

TomU_0-1667331247325.png

https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Publisher-Forum/When-License-Manger-is-started-a-directory-var-tmp-flexlm-with/m-p/125047

DC_9962934
3-Visitor
(To:TomU)

Unfortunately I tried that.  But since the licenses are from different companies/accounts, it would only see one or the other.  I've already done a combine for multiple licenses from the same company/account and that works fine.

@DC_9962934 wrote:

Thanks,

Since you are apparently running this on Linux you could run each license server in its own container.

Yes, a bit of docker massaging (to get the IDs/etc under control) and I'm good to go.   Thanks for the suggestion, since I had a brain freeze and that never even occurred to me.

@DC_9962934 wrote:

Yes, a bit of docker massaging (to get the IDs/etc under control) and I'm good to go. 

Have a look at the --mac-address docker argument:

--mac-address=00-B0-D0-63-C2-26

Yep, that's what I used to get it working. MAC, ports, hostname and mounts

@DC_9962934 wrote:
Yep, that's what I used to get it working. MAC, ports, hostname and mounts

The "magic" of containers...

This "magic" makes it super easy to move to another container host and not have to wait on a vendor to get you new license codes.

Top Tags