cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Default settings for new user

ZbigniewK
9-Granite

Default settings for new user

When new person is logging onto TWX serwer via Active Directory, new User entity is automatically created.

Is that possible to set default settings for such user? Mostly I'm interested in language property of such user, so every new user will have "pl, pl - pl, eng, Default" language schema for server, where most of the users are polish?

6 REPLIES 6

Hello @ZbigniewK ,

I believe whenever you create a new user, you can opt for the preferred  language by changing the language property.

bchaudhary_0-1706719511646.png

I hope this will resolve your problem.

Thanks

Bhawna

Yes, I know this way, but it not what I ask for.
I would like to write application, where Default language is english language, but can be switched for polish.
For existing user, I can make a script which will automatically fill the field you mentioned to string which I want, like "pl, en, Default". But every new user will have this field empty and it would need my administration to switch this field to polish.
Yes, I can use existing Preference widget, so people could do it by themselves. but it is not very natural, especially it has description in english and I can not switch it. I make simple application, for simple folks, and I do not want to make people trainings, where 90% of complexity of user experience is switching to polish. That's why I want to have this field filled automatically when new user is created. 

Hello @ZbigniewK 

Now i have understood your query. For that you can follow the linked article to change the language at Runtime:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS248583

Kindly go through the article and revert back if you find it useful.

Thanks

Bhawna

Still, it is not a solution.
Yes, I know, I can set it for existing user - I've made a script, which read all users, then set language property (like [ZbigniewK].language = "pl, Default".). I do not ask people to set it by themselves, as admin, I ask script to do this. 
But can not start script every day. Why?

Let's imagine we have user1 to user20. Today, I switch all of them to pl. Tomorrow, I will have 10 new users (so user21 to user30), but user 17 changed to spanish, and user 15 - to portugese. My script will override values, so users 21 upto 30 will be happy they have polish. But user 17 and 15 will be dissapointed, because they had their languages set, and I will switch it to polish. 

But every new user with have this property empty. And I want "system" to treat "pl, Default" as default value for language property. You create new user - and it has it already.
Like in Thing template, where you define property, and can set default value - and everytime you create new Thing based on template, this property is already filled with default value. 
And no, I do not want to make whole application which will compare which users I had yesterday, if there is any new user and start script at new users. Still, their first run of application will be in wrong language, because script will be started after one hour, and they start using app here&now.
PS. Users are created automatically, without any help of administrator. You log in, you have user done. If it would be added manually, I could ask admins to set this property everytime they create new user. But users are not created manually, so I need system to fill this property automatically just when user is created. 

@ZbigniewK ,

I'm not 100% sure if this works for language, but on your Authenticator, under Configuration, you should see this table:

nmilleson_0-1706791895784.png

There you can map your IP attributes to user extension properties.  I would try that with the "language" property on your ThingWorx User.  If that's not an attribute in your IP, perhaps you can just use a dummy attribute name and default the value to pl-pl

- Nick

nmutter
14-Alexandrite
(To:ZbigniewK)

That is a nice question. I am not aware that you could change the "platform" default language to a different one.

For your useCase you can user this article to make it work - After user creation, how to automatically set default user language to English . Only issue will be, that it will override the language for each user when he logs in (so also for existing users). So if someone would like to keep "english" as his language, it will also set him to the language you selected. You may need to add some more logic to prevent such cases.

Top Tags