cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

How does one use .toLocaleDateString in services?

pjbiocco
8-Gravel

How does one use .toLocaleDateString in services?

Hey all. I'm currently trying to work on localization so users from different countries will see dates in their proper format. I want to attach a location code to a profile and use that as a binding, so I tested with a very simple function to see if this approach would work. Below I've written some code that when I output to a div, outputs exactly as I expect in a quick demo React project when pushed to a div.

Code

pjbiocco_1-1697749876751.png

Output

pjbiocco_2-1697749960556.png

However, when I do this in Thingworx services, it fails to do this, and provides a completely different format. Does anyone know what is going on here? Am I making some sort of settings mistake?

pjbiocco_3-1697750057164.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:pjbiocco)

If it is for mashups use: https://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx/platform/r9/en/index.html#page/ThingWorx/Help/Mashup_Builder/Widgets/FormattingDateAndTimeForWidgets.html#wwID0EMQAMB

Else I've seen the toLocaleDateString and toLocaleDateTimeString work properly from what I recall for use in the back-end.

Browser itself will already take care of the offset.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Try casting it toString and set the output to be String?

Or are you specifically trying to get the 2023-10-19 format, I think you might be able to use the format function?

Apologies for being a tad slow, as I'm technically off this week. I as specifically aiming to change the format based on the location. This will be accessible in multiple languages, and countries. So we want it to have one format for the US, another for the UK, another for Germany, and say if we were to introduce this to another language, we would like to be able to use the proper structure.

Specifically, we want the format to be changed just as it would be if we were using date.toLocaleDateString() as according to the mdn web docs located here.

pjbiocco_0-1698355465613.png

To be clear, the screenshot already shows a string being printed out, not a DateTime, as with a DateTime object, the print out results in an error saying that strings cannot be converted to DateTimes.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

If it is for mashups use: https://support.ptc.com/help/thingworx/platform/r9/en/index.html#page/ThingWorx/Help/Mashup_Builder/Widgets/FormattingDateAndTimeForWidgets.html#wwID0EMQAMB

Else I've seen the toLocaleDateString and toLocaleDateTimeString work properly from what I recall for use in the back-end.

Browser itself will already take care of the offset.

@pjbiocco , The current recommendation is to set the ThingWorx server to UTC.  When you are getting or sending a date field the Mashup will convert the local time to UTC for storage in the database. The reverse happens when the date information is extracted from the database it is adjusted by the time zone information in the browser to local time.

In you case I am not sure if format is adjusted for the local display of date time information. 
If you are trying to get around the mashup adjusting date time information based on the browser , as @PaiChung , stated creating a date time value which is stored as a string will not be adjusted going to/from the display. 

Hope that helps. If you have more questions please post back.

As far as I am aware, it is already the case that UTC is the setting of our server, and we are already converting to local time. However, this is less about time adjustment for time zones, and more international formatting. See the reply to PaiChung for clarification.

bbeuckSIG
15-Moonstone

I do not accept the response from @PaiChung as an answer. I have the same issue, please someone explain to me the result for the following code:

const event = new Date(Date.UTC(2012, 11, 20, 3, 0, 0));
const options = {
  weekday: 'long',
  year: 'numeric',
  month: 'long',
  day: 'numeric',
};

let result = [];

result.push(event.toLocaleDateString('de-DE', options));
// Expected output (varies according to local timezone): Donnerstag, 20. Dezember 2012

result.push(event.toLocaleDateString('ar-EG', options));
// Expected output (varies according to local timezone): الخميس، ٢٠ ديسمبر، ٢٠١٢

result.push(event.toLocaleDateString(undefined, options));
// Expected output (varies according to local timezone and default locale): Thursday, December 20, 2012

Output:

["December 20, 2012","December 20, 2012","December 20, 2012"]

The code is taken and slightly adjusted from official documentation.

Server running in UTC, Thingworx 9.3.9. .

Thank you
Benny

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:bbeuckSIG)

I'm not 100% sure, but are you casting the result to string before sending it to 'output' to 'lock' in the result without any other TWX/Browser conversions to occur?

bbeuckSIG
15-Moonstone
(To:PaiChung)

Thank you for you response, @PaiChung . But I don't get your question. I am talking about back end Services, not Mashups, in case that is the misunderstanding here.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

Potentially when sending it to the output as 'DateTime' it may be doing a conversion again to show it to you back to your original time without the offset.

bbeuckSIG
15-Moonstone

The Service result is type JSON, I don't see where this could be converted again.

To me it looks like toLocaleDateString is not taking the parameters into account, neither the locale, nor the options.

PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

I would recommend you open a support case, I haven't used this server side, so it might be the case.

I know it works fine client side (in an expression)

bbeuckSIG
15-Moonstone

I agree, on client side I made the same experience. I will open a support case. Thank you.

Top Tags