cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Multiple EMS connecting to same Thing

Abhiram
8-Gravel

Multiple EMS connecting to same Thing

Hi,

I'm sending data from two EMS to same thing. How thingworx will handle this?

If two EMS are sending data to same property of same thing how it will behave?

Will it override property data or thingworx will maintain queue?

What if both EMS sends data at same time to same thing, how thingworx will handle this?

It would be great, if you explain the thingworx behaviour in these scenerios.

Thanks,

Abhiram Kuncham

4 REPLIES 4

I don't think this is the desired approach for ThingWorx Remote Things, you should have two different Things one for each Remote Thing.

I agree with you, this is not desired approach. But we have to consolidate child and parent data to same thing.

So, we are trying to implement in this process. 

We are not using property bindings, both EMS will write data to same property of single thing.

After we subscribe to data change and storing it.

Will Thingworx  maintain queue to writing data to property in this scenerio?

Is this any chance it will overwrite the property or loss of data?

If you add this property to a Stream or Datatable, of course you can get the queue, and unless 2 updates are within 10 ms from another, I don't think there will be a data loss. 

In comparison, if you update the property with 2 subscriptions, and log it to a value stream, it will save more storage space. You can get the records running QueryPropertyHistory service, and normally valuestream will not lose data unless the whole system is running in a high workload. (Heard that Value Stream has lower priority than Stream and Datatable)

Virtual thing and Remote thing only supports one on one connection, and if a property is remote binded, it cannot be changed manually (value update don't work).

You can add more properties to one entity and use local binding to merge the other remote thing properties into same property list.

If you want to update the same property with 2 data source, don't bind it to anyone, just write 2 datachange subscription and update the 2 inputs to this property, and then make this property Logged and assign a valuestream for the Thing.

Top Tags