cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Why we need tags?

SG_10718850
5-Regular Member

Why we need tags?

I am a student and I am doing internship under an organization and they taught me about Thingworx. We are creating a project and they gave me a task to create tags for user roles which we are going to add in our project. I do not know very much about tags, I just know that tags are use for grouping and filtering. So I want to know is there any other way to use tag?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That's exactly what they are used for, but probably what's not clear is exactly when and where you can use that grouping and filtering.

Tags are useful when you would want to split different part of your applications in different groups. For example, if you should create 20 users, and 10 are operators and 10 maintenance engineers, you will most certainly add them to their specific User Groups, but it's nice to also tag them accordingly to allow you to understand where they are required when looking at them.

Or if you created a whole new capability for your application, and you need to export all the entities that belong to that capability.

Here are a few locations where this kind of filtering is useful:

• When browsing for any type of Entity
  • When you export via the Import/Export menu

As a note, tagging is not mandatory, just useful during implementation for the reasons above.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

That's exactly what they are used for, but probably what's not clear is exactly when and where you can use that grouping and filtering.

Tags are useful when you would want to split different part of your applications in different groups. For example, if you should create 20 users, and 10 are operators and 10 maintenance engineers, you will most certainly add them to their specific User Groups, but it's nice to also tag them accordingly to allow you to understand where they are required when looking at them.

Or if you created a whole new capability for your application, and you need to export all the entities that belong to that capability.

Here are a few locations where this kind of filtering is useful:

• When browsing for any type of Entity
  • When you export via the Import/Export menu

As a note, tagging is not mandatory, just useful during implementation for the reasons above.

SG_10718850
5-Regular Member
(To:VladimirRosu)

Thank you for helping. May this post and your reply helps other.

Top Tags