cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

dwg files in Vuforia Studio

GianVal
15-Moonstone

dwg files in Vuforia Studio

Hello, what is (if there is one) the best method to show dwg (or drw) files in Vuforia studio experiences?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

when you need to display this format file as 2d - trying  to convert it to pvz will not make sense in this case. Then better  you can print the dwg file to any image formats (flat, raster)  or pdf and display these files there in you popup. As mentioned when you have AutoCAD environment you can print the files from there directly or via some automation tools (important is if you need to have this file to have correct scale or you need only to display them).

Depending on your environment if you have e.g.  Creo Parametric so you can import a dwg file in Creo and then print it to pdf or to picture format. This could be automated with e.g. JLink or Creo Toolkit . But you can also try to use also Creo Distributed Batch if you need to do this for many files. I tested it and importing of dwg and saving to picture is very easy and in dbatch mode you can call this  e.g. for all file in specific directory (many hundred  files).

2022-06-20_18-16-52.jpg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @GianVal ,

according to 

http://support.ptc.com/help/vuforia/studio/en/#page/Studio_Help_Center%2FSupportedCADFileFormats.html

seems the dwg (I believe AutoDesk) format is not directly supported. So possibly you can use some tool to transfer this format to a one of the supported format , possibly directly to export from AutoDesk to this format or e.g. use Creo Parametric  to import it there and export to pvz. 

But , another aspect is if the dwg file is drawing - flat projection or contains a 3D model (I am not sure if this format can 3d - but believe yes ... https://dwgmodels.com/3d_modeling/  - believe to remember there was some thing like model view and paper space)

thank you. the point is that as I do with pdf files, I want to show this dwg/pvz converted files into 2d popup visualizations and not directly in the model. Looking at what you're saying I suppose this is not possible.

when you need to display this format file as 2d - trying  to convert it to pvz will not make sense in this case. Then better  you can print the dwg file to any image formats (flat, raster)  or pdf and display these files there in you popup. As mentioned when you have AutoCAD environment you can print the files from there directly or via some automation tools (important is if you need to have this file to have correct scale or you need only to display them).

Depending on your environment if you have e.g.  Creo Parametric so you can import a dwg file in Creo and then print it to pdf or to picture format. This could be automated with e.g. JLink or Creo Toolkit . But you can also try to use also Creo Distributed Batch if you need to do this for many files. I tested it and importing of dwg and saving to picture is very easy and in dbatch mode you can call this  e.g. for all file in specific directory (many hundred  files).

2022-06-20_18-16-52.jpg

Thank you for your answer. You just confirmed that in a web-like environment like vuforia studio, PDF and image files are the best option.

anyway, my files are directly coming from our PLM, that's why I asked for a possible workaround.

Many thanks

Top Tags