cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

"Enhancement Request" Show/Get the coordinate of the tap location in vuforia view

Sandy_Gunner
13-Aquamarine

"Enhancement Request" Show/Get the coordinate of the tap location in vuforia view

Hi Community member,

As of now, there is no functionality to get the coordinate of the tap location in vuforia view.

In unity , it seems that the coordinate of the point in the direction of the ray can be obtained with the API Physics.Raycast. See the link for your reference.

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Physics.Raycast.html 

I am wondering whether similar concept can be implemented in vuforia to get the coordinate of the tap location. 

Please see the sample image of the expected functionality in vuforia view.

If AR use predominately for marking the critical location (model tracking experience), getting the coordinate of the marked location is mandatory for the verification. If you have any idea/suggestions to get the coordinate of the tap location in vuforia view, please feel free to share. If this functionality available in vuforia view , it will greatly help to enhance the quality of the manufactured goods. 

1 REPLY 1

Hi @Sandy_Gunner ,

this is an issue where several customers are asking for. Some months ago I reported this to R&D Team as enhancement. The current Jira Ticket tracking this enhancement is the VTS-1854 and this is in the pipeline for development. Unfortunately, there is no deadline specified yet where I we could see with this release of Vuforia Studio this will be deployed.

E.g. some comments from developer working on this issue

In summary:

Accessing this data on HL should be fairly simple as it doesn’t go through ThingView.

Accessing this data on iOS & Android might be possible with ThingView API, but requires further testing and investigation. 

The assessment above is strictly for returning the position value via JS as the simplest approach, not factoring in the additional improvements requested in the description. 

With the evaluation above, I’ll forward this to Product Managment to track in the enhancement request list.

So that this will come soon (I hope) I will track this internally and will notify you in this ticket when we have more details when this will be released.

So the question what currently possible - e.g. Workaround:

1. userpick event - this will allow to get the component selected. using the API you can get the location for the component, bounding box and location. I the component is pretty small then you are near on the click - not working for large coponent as shown in your example (quilt - surface which need to be checked) please see the PTC Vuforia Stuido help -https://support.ptc.com/help/vuforia/studio/en/#page/Studio_Help_Center%2Fcad_structure_api.html - bounding box - and getLocaiton API, and some propeties as min ,max center and corners

We have another workaround: Basic principle of my/this workaround: Dynamically Extracting the camera - and calculating the ‘Target Crosshair’- Position  --->   $scope.$on(‘tracking’, function(evt, arg) Picture1.png

• At any moment in time XYZ-position and orientation of the device camera relative to Experience-origin is extracted
    The blue crosshair image is constantly calculated to float (billboarded) at 20cm distance in front of the camera
    The constant re-calculating of positioning needed for this method is a performance/battery-life killerPicture2.png
  • Example picture is from PTC developer ,who reported the issue for a large ptc customer- therefore I could not provide here further details

But I could provide  my version /which are created independently from this project . So, I will attach 3 different projects - for mobile and HL which work with this or similar approach- so possibly you can use this approach until the functionality enhancement is released

Top Tags