cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

COLAB?

ScottMorris
17-Peridot

COLAB?

Anyone looking at, evaluating or considering COLAB for shared visualization and collaborative review? 

https://www.colabsoftware.com/

3 REPLIES 3

I have not seen this but a few folks here have look at SmartBaer or even Confluence. Point by point, there is nothing I see that cannot be done in Creo View or some Windchill process. I think the sticker is the interface. JIRA like interfaces needs to be brought into Windchill in a fast way. If you shift reviews to tools like this you should walk the process and ask then what? 

Since its a separate system, it requires export and import of STEP or PDF to stage the review. This immediately requires a user task and you've now disconnected data from the PLM system. Expect that this export/import will occur a few times as updates are made to address markups and comments. 

After the review is done, this system will hold records of comments and possibly approvals. What becomes of that? How is this linked back to a change process to show objective evidence of a design review? Are security controls in place for this data? 

Personally, I would want to see integrated systems rather than a collection of point solutions. 

great insight! sometimes its not the tools, its the process. everyone likes new and exciting tools and will generally gravitate toward them, but we cannot take the best features of onenote, jira, confluence, #slack, sharepoint and others and create a solution mashup. what this usually creates is a highly disconnected process with data in multiple locations.

the engineering team is very excited about COLAB, but i'm not sure they've taken the time to use the tools they have with Windchill Design Review and Creo View. its not a SaaS, multi-participant application, but hopefully this concept will resonate with PTC's new SaaS priorities. lets jump forward and get rid of thick clients for CAD viewing wen not needed and enable this technology in the cloud to give it the level of pervasiveness it should have.

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:ScottMorris)

Seems to me the functionality of real time feedback etc, is also part of OnShape. Being part of the PTC family already (although not yet compatible) it would be a wiser choice to look at OnShape because it is likely to get better integrated with PTC products as time goes on.

Top Tags