cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Cleanup of workspace cache folder

Devidas
9-Granite

Cleanup of workspace cache folder

when I remove objects from workspace, does it automatically remove the files from my hard drive cache folder (.wf)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gagan
7-Bedrock
(To:Devidas)

Hello Davidas

When you remove objects from the work-space ,only the link will removed from the work space and not the meta data

These files are stored in the cache folder location ,usually it will be in C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf\Creo 2.0\Parametric\.cache2008\.cache2008\*server name*

Note: *username* and *server name* is variable depending on your system

in side the server name folder oyu will find two types of files ie .lid and .sid , .lid files represent new or modified files in your local cache that have not been uploaded to the server. and  “sid” files in the local cache represent files that have already been uploaded to the server, (it is usually unnecessary to attempt recovery of these files)

You can delete the cache in 2 methods

1.By deletion the files in the folder (*server name*)

I don't recommend this , because it it delete all the files from all your work space

2. from Creo 2 Go to File>manage-session>Server management>click on cache tools

Select the work space that you want to clear and clink on OK (Refer the attached screenshot)

ptc comunity.JPG

Important Note:make sure there are no locally modified files are new files in the work space , because you may loose the data.

@Eric Metzger

I guess if accumulated cache size is very huge ,say around 18-20 GB , they may face slowness issue in the work space .what is your opinion on this ?

@devias Pawar

Even i am into the admin side , I agree eric's point , if you are looking for delete the .wf files , can we know what is the reason ?

Best Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomU
23-Emerald IV

It depends.  If you have workspace frames enabled, then the file won't actually be removed from disk until it is no longer being referenced by an existing frame (event).

No, objects will not always be removed from the cache folders.

But as an Admin, I would ask why you are even looking within the cache folders.

Even as an Admin, I rarely browse cache folders. I delete and rebuild them more than I look within!

Gagan
7-Bedrock

Hello Davidas

When you remove objects from the work-space ,only the link will removed from the work space and not the meta data

These files are stored in the cache folder location ,usually it will be in C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf\Creo 2.0\Parametric\.cache2008\.cache2008\*server name*

Note: *username* and *server name* is variable depending on your system

in side the server name folder oyu will find two types of files ie .lid and .sid , .lid files represent new or modified files in your local cache that have not been uploaded to the server. and  “sid” files in the local cache represent files that have already been uploaded to the server, (it is usually unnecessary to attempt recovery of these files)

You can delete the cache in 2 methods

1.By deletion the files in the folder (*server name*)

I don't recommend this , because it it delete all the files from all your work space

2. from Creo 2 Go to File>manage-session>Server management>click on cache tools

Select the work space that you want to clear and clink on OK (Refer the attached screenshot)

ptc comunity.JPG

Important Note:make sure there are no locally modified files are new files in the work space , because you may loose the data.

@Eric Metzger

I guess if accumulated cache size is very huge ,say around 18-20 GB , they may face slowness issue in the work space .what is your opinion on this ?

@devias Pawar

Even i am into the admin side , I agree eric's point , if you are looking for delete the .wf files , can we know what is the reason ?

Best Regards

emetzger
3-Visitor
(To:Gagan)

When cache sizes show an excess like 18-20gb, I would first clear the cache from within Creo. If the cache size is hardly reduced, and I have performance issues I feel are cache related, I would rebuild the cache folders (delete and allow them to rebuild). I've done this many times with very good success. PTC even has a timeframe for doing this as a routine.

The critical thing when you delete cache folders and rebuild them cleanly (already noted, but I will note it again!) is to make certain all new and modified objects are checked in, or at least backed up somewhere so you can import the data later.

Devidas
9-Granite

Thanks to all for sharing your views.

Normally I prefer to rebuild the cache folder but not so often. As some users have new objects or concept design which are not uploaded to the pdmlink system.

Top Tags