cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How to enable Publish to CAD option when checking in more than one WTPart at a time?

ptc-5064753
4-Participant

How to enable Publish to CAD option when checking in more than one WTPart at a time?

When we check in a single WTPart, there is an option for "Publish to CAD" which pushes attribute values to the related EPMDocument, but if more than one WTPpart is being checked in at the same time, this option is not visible. Even if we set the preference to default this option to be selected, that only applies when the option is displayed, so only when checking in a single part at a time. While we wait for PTC to determine whether/when this will be fixed, has anyone found a way to automatically trigger Publish to CAD on every WTPart checkin?

This issue is also described in SPR7513360 and

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS285995

We are running Windchill 12.1.2.x

6 REPLIES 6
Fadel
22-Sapphire I
(To:ptc-5064753)

Hi , as per the attached article this is the intended behavior with below explanation :

• Check in is generic action that can be performed on heterogeneous objects (CAD and parts) simultaneously that may not support the Publish to CAD option
Fede
ptc-5064753
4-Participant
(To:Fadel)

It may be intentional to limit the displayed options to actions which can be applied to all possible selections, but at least in this case it leads to inconsistent behavior, where data will sometimes be pushed from WTParts to CAD by default, while at other times they remain unsynchronized. I understand that there is a cost to calculating which options are available for the all of the object types in scope for a specific operation, but the check-in process already includes a step where related objects (of different types) may be collected, either by default or by user-guided expansion of scope.

Given that this often leads to WTParts and related EPM Documents being checked in at the same time, and that these types have supported, standard interactions with each other, options should be made available to inform whether attributes and structures from the WTParts will be pushed to the CAD or whether changes to the CAD will be pushed to the WTParts, either for the entire operation, or for each object collected, similar to how there are "Set for Single-Level Build" and "Set for Multilevel Build" options which already exist when checking in sets of WTParts and EPM Documents.,

ptc-5064753
4-Participant

If the set of objects selected for check-in (after any collections are applied) includes only a single type of object (e.g. everything is an EPM Document or a subtype of EPM Document), there is no reason why all options available when checking in a single object of that type should not be available for the set.

It should not be difficult or expensive to determine if all objects in that set are of the same root type. This could even be included in the logic which determines the options displayed in right-click menu or Actions menu, so that all options available for the type are displayed, and that only options which make sense for that type are displayed. A common complaint I hear from my user base is that these menus are often "polluted" with options which are not applicable to the selected object(s). That is kind of the inverse of the problem I was asking about, since I want more options, not fewer, but the same logic applies - the options available should be evaluated in real time so that what is presented to users more closely aligns with the objects actually in scope (not the object types which could possibly be in scope on that screen, but the actually selected objects).

Fadel
22-Sapphire I

Hi , I'm from technical support ,I can't change the software spec on my own .

you can submit a product Idea , the product owner will then decide .

Fede
ptc-5064753
4-Participant

Isn't that what I just did? Support told me to post my "idea" here as a question.to the community. There is already an SPR listed above, but it is closed to comments/likes. I don't really want to duplicate information, but would like to add my voice. Also, I am open to trying any suggestions for workarounds while we wait for someone to decide whether this is an issue they want to fix or not.

Fadel
22-Sapphire I

I'm afraid you are on the wrong board this one is for technical queries/Discussions  , Windchill Ideas/Enhancements  are to be posted here https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill-Ideas/idb-p/WindchillIdeas 

Fede
Top Tags