cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

PDMLink search not working after being restarted after backups

rconnole
1-Newbie

PDMLink search not working after being restarted after backups

I have a situation that is unstable and erratic. We are running Windchill 9.1 M060. Prior to go live we tested out the back up scenario to do cold backups by shutting down both the application and database servers. after 2 months we started to get info engine errors and search functionality not working. All services are started and you can log in and access windchill products, but are unable to use the search engine. PTC recommended taking everything down and clearing out caches and deleting the Tomcat Work folder. That works but now it is getting to the point the system will go a few days without problem then search will be down 2 or 3 days after the backup script restarts the application services. Who else is having this problem if any and is there a miracle solution to get the services to restart after backup and search and the info engine to run properly again? Any and all help will be appreciated and shared. Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
bwilson-2
4-Participant
(To:rconnole)

Ray,
This issue usually has to do with the Windchill method servers starting before Windchill DS has completely started. At least we found this to be the case. You can either create a startup script that will run after your backups to make sure Windchill DS starts first or there is a way in the registry you can make one service not start until another is completely started.

Just food for thought.

Brian

[cid:image001.png@01CC93C8.06CA8660]

HI Ray

We have the same issue but this is when the server is restarted without
Windchill services being shut down first, I've had to make a script to
shutdown the services, then do the restart and let the services restart as
normal after restart

then I have created another script to clean the caches if someone restarts
the server without shutting down the Windchill services first which
basically does the following

shutdown Windchill service
shutdown Windchill DS service
shutdown apache
shutdown Tomcat
delete the tomcat\work\catalina\ folder (Tomcat Cache)
delete \tmp\ptcservlet folder
delete <windchill>\task\codebase\com\infoengine\compiledtasks\file folder
from a windchill shell cd into codebase
run ant -f makejar.xml

restart the services in the following order
WindchillDS >> Apache >> Tomcat >> Windchill SRV

Thats about as helpful as PTC TS have been with us

Were on 9.1 M050 >> Win 2003 servers

If you get any fixes please send to me

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Chris Collinson
CAD Administrator

We've seen the exact behavior ever since upgrading to 9.1 M060 a few months ago. Windchill will restart fine for a few days, then the next day searches wont work. Usually shutting down all services and restarting fixes the problem. I'm going to experiment with the startup order as suggested and see what happens.

In Reply to Ray Connole:

I have a situation that is unstable and erratic. We are running Windchill 9.1 M060. Prior to go live we tested out the back up scenario to do cold backups by shutting down both the application and database servers. after 2 months we started to get info engine errors and search functionality not working. All services are started and you can log in and access windchill products, but are unable to use the search engine. PTC recommended taking everything down and clearing out caches and deleting the Tomcat Work folder. That works but now it is getting to the point the system will go a few days without problem then search will be down 2 or 3 days after the backup script restarts the application services. Who else is having this problem if any and is there a miracle solution to get the services to restart after backup and search and the info engine to run properly again? Any and all help will be appreciated and shared. Thanks

jessh
5-Regular Member

Which JVM are you on?

If you're not at least at Java 6 Update 24, then update to Java 6 Update
24 or later. [Update 29 is the latest available now.]

I say this as there are some serious JIT issues on Intel hardware in a
range of Java 6 updates prior to Java 6 Update 24 (and some issues on
Solaris in still older ones).

LiuLiang
4-Participant

We are seeing the same issue as this one described in below link (some random jsp files not found but bouncing Windchill and Tomcat solves the issue then some other jsp files not found then keep bouncing WC and Tomcat..... We are in 9.1 M060) :

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/spr.jsp?n=2025952

The above SPR is closed by no resolution posted. Contacted PTC support but hasn't got response yet.

Do you think upgrading Java build may solve it?

jessh
5-Regular Member

Random JSP files not found is a classic sign at this point.

It points to you having too old of a JDK. You need to have Java 6
Update 24 or newer to avoid this JIT bug. Ideally you'd move straight
to Java 6 Update 29, which is the latest available at the moment.

Top Tags