cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Parameters capability and uses

HR_10750679
8-Gravel

Parameters capability and uses

Hello Community,

I want to understand what is the significance of Parameters and how it differs from Options and Variants capability, I could not find good articles explaining the same. Requesting you to provide some clarification on the same if you have worked on them.

Much Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jlecoz
13-Aquamarine
(To:HR_10750679)

A parameter can be used when using the Advanced Selection logic to generate product variants.

You can create parameters (name, descript, IBA mapping or not, Type, required value or not, and message prompt. You can then set constraints for this parameter. For example, a list of values or a case table. You can also define the format of the parameter form that will be shown to the user when building their product variant.

With advanced selection logic and parameters, you can do things that are not possible with the regular Option and variant feature.

For example:

• Depending on a conveyor length I can drive the number of conveyor legs.
  • Find or create a component according to the parameters and add it to the product variant, reducing the need for an 150% BOM.

The Option and variant technology and advanced selection logic can be combined.

To know more you can access the WIndchill Help center:

https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.1.1.0/en/index.html#page/Windchill_Help_Center/options/WCOV_ExamplesBestPractices.html

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @HR_10750679 

Generally the parameters describe a static information for product, part, assembly that is necessary to create, build or manufacture it, for example ISO, EN, source material, and so on. 

The function Options and Variants can build specific BOM based on some rules that combinates conditions with parts used in the BOM. 

For example if you use GOLD ring in the BOM, you can not use SILVER belt in the BOM and so on.

It is just simple example to understand the point. 

PettrH

jlecoz
13-Aquamarine

A parameter can be used when using the Advanced Selection logic to generate product variants.

You can create parameters (name, descript, IBA mapping or not, Type, required value or not, and message prompt. You can then set constraints for this parameter. For example, a list of values or a case table. You can also define the format of the parameter form that will be shown to the user when building their product variant.

With advanced selection logic and parameters, you can do things that are not possible with the regular Option and variant feature.

For example:

• Depending on a conveyor length I can drive the number of conveyor legs.
  • Find or create a component according to the parameters and add it to the product variant, reducing the need for an 150% BOM.

The Option and variant technology and advanced selection logic can be combined.

To know more you can access the WIndchill Help center:

https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.1.1.0/en/index.html#page/Windchill_Help_Center/options/WCOV_ExamplesBestPractices.html

Hello @jlecoz , @HelesicPetr ,

I added few parameters to my assembly and did Configure action. I stumbled upon the below queries, please shed some light if you can.

i) If a Parameter is not mapped to any attribute, does it still have any significance? If yes, please explain how. 

ii) As per below statement from PTC, what is the purpose of adding parameters after the page break?

If at least one page break has been defined for the topmost configurable module, then only the input parameters for the first page of this configurable module are processed.

iii)Statement: Adding child resolution would process the parameters for the child configurable module first. Query: I see the child parameters and parent parameters appearing in the same page of Set Parameters tab, then how the process is done first for the child?

Thanks in advance.

jlecoz
13-Aquamarine

Hi I can't reply all your questions.

The advanced selection logic is a feature that existed before we released the current O&V capabilities. These two features are coexisting and are interoperable.

Parameters values can be seen as option choices, whereas parameters can be seen as options. For O&V and advanced selection logic, this is the same, IBA attributes are not needed. The goal is to decouple the selection logic from the WTPart itself.

For the other questions, I have added an exercise I built a while ago. You can't run it your selves as you don't have the VM but it should provide you some answers and review how O&V and advanced selection logic can coexist.

Top Tags