cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Save as from workspace - files location

TG_10187670
4-Participant

Save as from workspace - files location

We use the save-as function all the time. The common practice is to download a master or reference model to a workspace and save a copy from there. During that process, the file location is set to the root folder of Windchill by default and the files have to be reassigned. We would like to have the new files location match the reference ones.

We have the preference management option "use location source object" set to yes. Unfortunately, it only works with the save as from commonspace, and not from workspace.

Is this normal behavior or is there an option we missed? This is with Windchill 10.2 and 12.1..

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:TG_10187670)

My only guess is that the functionality is different only by appearance. A Save-As in commonspace is being saved to the same folder the original file is in. A Save-As in a workspace is doing the same thing, the new copy is in the same location as the original file. In this cae it is your workspace. You will then need to set the commonspace location when the object is checked in.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

As far as I know, it is the standard behavior. The file in your workspace is a copy of the one in the commonspace location in Windchill. Windchill would not 'know' where you wanted the new file placed so it gets assigned to the default location assigned to your workspace. 

You can assign a default commonspace location to each workspace.

One possible solution - you could use workspace preferences to set the location for CAD/wtparts on upload. That way any file that is "new" from that workspace will go to that location.

From the workspace table, click the edit pencil, then set the folder location 

jbailey_0-1687818890155.png

jbailey_1-1687818943599.png

TG_10187670
4-Participant
(To:jbailey)

We have folders for each type of part or assembly. They always go in their respective location.

When you use the "Save As" function from commonspace, the new parts are assigned the same folder as the original part/assembly. When you download those parts to a workspace, Windchill "knows" which folder it is assigned to. Is there a way for "save as from workspace" to act the same as "save as from commonspace" with regards to file location?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I just did a Save-As on a file in my workspace and you can specify the location for the new file.

BenLoosli_0-1687875368936.png

TG_10187670
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

@BenLoosli , yes, you can specify the location of a new file either when you first create it during the "save as", or when you check-in commonspace.

I am trying to figure out why the "save-as" function behaves differently if it is done in commonspace, or from the workspace. Is it normal, or is it some settings we have not set up correctly? 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

My only guess is that the functionality is different only by appearance. A Save-As in commonspace is being saved to the same folder the original file is in. A Save-As in a workspace is doing the same thing, the new copy is in the same location as the original file. In this cae it is your workspace. You will then need to set the commonspace location when the object is checked in.

TG_10187670
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

@BenLoosli 

While this is not what I wanted to hear, this is what makes the most sense.

Thank you for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Top Tags