cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Workspace not syncronizing or is displaying "old" data

MikeMarcoux
11-Garnet

Workspace not syncronizing or is displaying "old" data

We're running Solidworks 2021 and Windchill release 11.1 M020-CPS24

For a while, I've been chasing a ghost but yesterday I actually saw it. We have two users collaborating in the the same product.

User 1 will check out a part or assembly, make changes, and check it back in.  

User 2 will synchronize/refresh/update their workspace but not see those changes.  Parts still say they are checked out by user 1.  No display changes with refresh, nothing marked out of date with synchronize, and update presents nothing to update. 

My first thoughts were latency or workspace corruption, Both users have deleted and recreated their workspaces in this instance.  And as for the latency, we waited 11 hours (overnight) to see if the changes would propagate. 

Here's where it gets really strange.  The workspace is active, and shows that the parts are the old version and still checked out by user 1, but if you click on the details for the part or the assembly, the details page shows the big red sign "Go To Latest".  Once you click on this - the entire workspace updates.  

Am I slowly losing my mind or have a I lost it completely?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:MikeMarcoux)

I saw something similar with Solidworks a few years ago. Not sure if this applies to your use case but at the time we had Creo and Solidworks running together. Do you have Creo and non-Creo running? 

Creo has it's own local cache location (defined by environment variables) and Solidworks has it's own. 

When a user added a SW file to a workspace created by Creo and then started working on it, the file would be "locally modified" and would check in but no changes would check in even though the version would increment. 

Turned out that since the local cache locations were different and the actual file on the C:\ drive was being accessed by WGM for SW, the actual file in the SW cache wasn't being changed but instead there was a residual back up in the Creo cache location that was being edited. Since WGM didn't have access to that cache location, nothing was being checked in even though Windchill registered changes. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:MikeMarcoux)

I saw something similar with Solidworks a few years ago. Not sure if this applies to your use case but at the time we had Creo and Solidworks running together. Do you have Creo and non-Creo running? 

Creo has it's own local cache location (defined by environment variables) and Solidworks has it's own. 

When a user added a SW file to a workspace created by Creo and then started working on it, the file would be "locally modified" and would check in but no changes would check in even though the version would increment. 

Turned out that since the local cache locations were different and the actual file on the C:\ drive was being accessed by WGM for SW, the actual file in the SW cache wasn't being changed but instead there was a residual back up in the Creo cache location that was being edited. Since WGM didn't have access to that cache location, nothing was being checked in even though Windchill registered changes. 

Winner winner chicken dinner!  This is it.  We have a mix of SW and Creo data.  As a last ditch effort, I created a new Product last week and moved the SW files to the new Product.  This may solve the issue, but I would not thought of it without your insight.  Thanks!  

Top Tags