cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Dynamic Stream Size

jhutson
1-Newbie

Dynamic Stream Size

Hello All,

We have a project at the moment in which a Thing can have various numbers of properties depending upon its installation. I.E one Thing could have 10 properties, and yet another thing could have 40. Both of these are similar in function, it is just the size that varies.

What we need to do is to log these properties in a stream... is there a way to dynamically alter the number of columns in a datashape depending upon the largest thing we instantiate? or is it a case of we need to define the largest system before creating the datashape?

I have a feeling it is the latter, however just thought I'd ask to see if anyone has had any experience with this...

James

3 REPLIES 3
paic
1-Newbie
(To:jhutson)

This is a perfect use case for ValueStreams

Hi Pai

Are there any example uses of this value stream? I can see that a ValueStream still requires a DatShape... Does the DataShape require the maximum possible number of columns defining before being able to use it?

Thanks

James

paic
1-Newbie
(To:jhutson)

Please see section 3.14.8 on Value Streams and some videos showing how it works.

ValueStreams do NOT need Datashapes which is why I recommend their use.

Top Tags