9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 10:35 AM by qn RSS
    steved Newbie

specify location for ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage folders

I have ThingWorx 5.0 installed on my local Tomcat 7.0 instance running on Windows.

I do not want the ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage folders to reside under my C: drive root.
    Is there a way to tell Thingworx where to place those folders?
      • specify location for ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage folders
        paic Collaborator

Hello Steve, yes that is possible, please see Wiki entry 2.01.03

Thanks!

• specify location for ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage folders
          steved Newbie

Greetings,

I found the docs on setting an alternate location for the storage and backup storage (thanks).

I tried to follow the docs and what ever i do, i cannot get ThingWorxStorage or ThingWorxBackupStorage

to get created in any location other than the root directory (for my case Windows D:\ ).

What i have done:

- Created the following directories:

- D:/svn/projects/twx/ThingWorxStorage

- D:/svn/projects/twx/ThingWorxBackupStorage

Before each attempt, i undeployed Thingsworx web app from Tomcat and restarted tomcat server

Attempt #1

--

</p><p>- Created setenv.bat file</p><p>- Added the following set "THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS=D:/svn/projects/twx"</p><p>- Created platform-settings.json file</p><p>- added the following to the file</p><p>  {</p><p>  "Storage": "D:/svn/projects/twx/ThingWorxStorage",</p><p>  "BackupStorage": "D:/svn/projects/twx/ThingWorxBackupStorage"</p><p>  }</p><p><br></p><p>Results: ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage created on D:\</p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p>Attempt #2 (changed forward slash to backslash)</p><p>
          </p><p>- Created setenv.bat file</p><p>- Added the following set "THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS=D:\svn\projects\twx"</p><p>- Created platform-settings.json file</p><p>- added the following to the file</p><p>  {</p><p>  "Storage": "D:\svn\projects\twx\ThingWorxStorage",</p><p>  "BackupStorage": "D:\svn\projects\twx\ThingWorxBackupStorage"</p><p>  }</p><p><br></p><p>Results: ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage created on D:\</p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p>Attempt #3 (not sure if Thingworx was expecting to create the ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage folders)</p><p>

</p><p>- Created setenv.bat file</p><p>- Added the following set "THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS=D:\svn\projects\twx"</p><p>- Created platform-settings.json file</p><p>- added the following to the file</p><p>  {</p><p>  "Storage": "D:\svn\projects\twx",</p><p>  "BackupStorage": "D:\svn\projects\twx"</p><p>  }</p><p><br></p><p>Results: ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage created on D:\</p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p>Attempt #4 (maybe THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS is supposed to point to actual config file instead of parent folder)</p><p>

</p><p>- Created setenv.bat file</p><p>- Added the following set "THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS=D:\svn\projects\twx\platform-settings.json"</p><p>- Created platform-settings.json file</p><p>- added the following to the file</p><p>  {</p><p>  "Storage": "D:\svn\projects\twx",</p><p>  "BackupStorage": "D:\svn\projects\twx"</p><p>  }</p><p><br></p><p>Results: ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage created on D:\</p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p>Attempt #5 (create THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS using "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System" </p><p>            Advanced System Settings =&gt; Environment Variables =&gt; New System variable)</p><p>
          --

- Added the following system env. variable THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS with value=D:\svn\projects\twx

- Created platform-settings.json file

- added the following to the file

{

"Storage": "D:\svn\projects\twx",

"BackupStorage": "D:\svn\projects\twx"

}

Results: ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage created on D:\

• Re: specify location for ThingworxStorage and ThingworxBackupStorage folders
              qn Communicator

Hi,

(I'm using Linux so my command lines may be different)

Did you try to follow this support case: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS197998

It works for me on Linux:

- $CATALINA_HOME/bin/setenv.sh: add "export THINGWORX_PLATFORM_SETTINGS=[link_thingworx_directory]"

- platform-settings.json:

"Storage": "/home/[linux_user]/ThingworxStorage",

"BackupStorage": "/home/[linux_user]/ThingworxBackupStorage"

- sudo chown tomcat8:tomcat8 [link_thingworx_directory] /home/[linux_user]/ThingworxStorage /home/[linux_user]/ThingworxBackupStorage

- sudo chmod 775 [link_thingworx_directory] /home/[linux_user]/ThingworxStorage /home/[linux_user]/ThingworxBackupStorage