cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Import Thingworx export file fails

ptc-6292023
1-Newbie

Import Thingworx export file fails

I have exported all my training class things to a file, running ThingWorx 4.1 on 64bit java/tomcat and tried importing to ThingWorx 4.2 on 32bit java/tomcat and it fails with:

Error importing: error, Import Failed: null

I probably missed tagging a thing with the training model tag but how do I figure out which one?

Thanks,

Ben

4 REPLIES 4
adam11
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-6292023)

Hi Benjamin,

It's great that you're upgrading, but you will need a 64-bit operating system to run the ThingWorx platform. If you encounter this error on a 64-bit operating system, we can troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Adam

So, upgrading requires to stay on the same bit level? 

If I upgrade my 64bit environment to 4.2 and then export, Can I import it to a 4.2 32bit environment?

Thanks

Ben

adam11
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-6292023)

No – the fact that you are upgrading is not the issue. The ThingWorx platform does not support 32-bit operating systems. Again, if you encounter this error on a 64-bit operating system, then we can troubleshoot.

Keep in mind, when importing Entities, you will need to import any extensions you use before importing Entities.

Thanks,
Adam

Hi Ben, it looks like perhaps your issue is a little simpler than the fact you are on a 32 bit system.

When you do the Import and it fails, the first place to check is the Application log (Monitoring Application)

If you are missing dependencies it will mention which ones you are missing.

If you have issues with the Training content not importing and you exported it all by the Training tag than I would go along with the following steps.

1. From a clean install (so it would be good to shut down tomcat and remove the Thingworx Storage folders)

2. The training content does depend on several Extensions. Import those first, Google Widgets and MailandSQLextensions

3. Import the Preload content, entities first then the data

4. In your original training content, there is one item that is not tagged, which is your User name that we create as the very first exercise. So you will need to go back and tag it.

If you want you can do an Export of Everything and import that instead, that means it will include the preload and the truck exercises besides the Thingworx training.

I hope that helps.

I do want to iterate that Thingworx requires a 64 Bit operating system.

Top Tags