cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

How can I view contents of 'incoming' SystemRepository in a mashup (ThingWorx version 5.3.1.444)?

jmusser
1-Newbie

How can I view contents of 'incoming' SystemRepository in a mashup (ThingWorx version 5.3.1.444)?

The video 'How to Use the File Upload Widget' at   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyxGNy5mztk is a good start, but I think it could be more helpful.

It shows using a File Upload widget (which uploads to the SystemRepository on the ThingWorx server), but in the example video, the ThingWorx server is running on the developer's laptop.  I would like to see an example that is in an environment more like a real world deployment, where the ThingWorx server is not running on the same laptop from which the file is being uploaded.

In that type of environment, how can I view the contents of a repository, since the repository will not be on my laptop?  Can I pull a list of the contents of the SystemRepository (or other repo) out and display in a list widget, like I can with directories on edge devices?

Also, I think a lot of people will be using File Upload not to simply get a file to the SystemRepository, but to push a file all the way down to an edge device.  To do this, I had to catch the UploadFailedEvent and then call the FileTransferSubsytem's Copy command.  (Not sure why I had to catch UploadFailedEvent, but catching UploadComplete never worked--I never received that event.)

In other words, File Upload only gets a file from your local laptop or device (could be a smartphone or tablet even--basically whatever you are using to view the mashup) up to a repository on the Thingworx server.  To get a file onto an edge device, that file must have been uploaded successfully to the server repo, but then the additional necessary step is the FileTransferSubsystem's Copy command. I think it'd be useful to mention that somewhere.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
paic
1-Newbie
(To:jmusser)

This is a standard piece of content in our Thingworx Fundamentals 101 course.

If you look at the FileRepository Things they come with services to show Directory structure and Files within a Directory.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
paic
1-Newbie
(To:jmusser)

This is a standard piece of content in our Thingworx Fundamentals 101 course.

If you look at the FileRepository Things they come with services to show Directory structure and Files within a Directory.

jmusser
1-Newbie
(To:paic)

Ah, ok.  So... I don't need to create a new Thing, but in Composer, upper right side panel, click the green plus sign, choose 'Things', search for SystemRepository, select Things_SystemRepository, choose to display the service GetFileListing service.

Bind the Clicked event of a button to Things_SystemRepository->GetFileListing

Bind 'All Data' to a Grid. 

Then clicking the button will retrieve the file listing of everything in SystemRepository and subdirectories.

Thanks!

Top Tags