4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 11:38 AM by byutz RSS
    byutz Apprentice

Subscribe to a stream

Does anyone know of a way that you can trigger a subscription for a "thing" when data has been added to a stream?  I can add the stream entity that I want to monitor, but I can't see where I can select the fields from the datatable associated with the stream.  The only options for data change monitoring given are name, description, tags, and thing template, which I cant see doing me any good. 

What I am trying to achieve is trigger an alarm notification when the stream gets an entry that has a value out of spec, sending an email or a text message.

Thank you!

• Re: Subscribe to a stream
        aanjan Heavyweight Champ

Brian, you would need to add the subscription directly on the Thing itself instead of adding it on the Stream/ StreamThing. A Stream, just by itself, has nothing attached to it. You can subscribe to an Alert Event on the Thing you want to monitor for the property( or properties) you have set to logged.

• Re: Subscribe to a stream
            byutz Apprentice

I am not sure that will work in my case.  The stream is not being logged from a thing, I am using it to simulate data coming in from a device. Maybe I should rethink how I set it up though. Should data coming in not go directly to a stream? Thank you for the quick reply!