5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2015 9:50 AM by alexe RSS
    alexe Apprentice

Set Metadata via API

Is there a way to set an entity's metadata via the API, or some service I'm overlooking?

I'm asking specifically so I can set the units on a property from a separate service. I can access a properties units via GetInstanceMetadataAsJSON, but I can't find any way to set this data.

• Re: Set Metadata via API
        jasong Creator

Well, yes. it's doable but I wouldn't recommend it. But Composer is doing this. You can figure out how to do this by watching your network traffic when hitting the SAVE button on a Thing/ThingTemplate/ThingShape...whatever.

So you could use PutJSON to localhost/Thingworx/ENTITYTYPE/ENTITYNAME....

A better option and the one I would take would be to RemovePropertyDefinition and then AddPropertyDefinition. I think, due to the way that ThWx holds data in memory, that any values on live things will be there as long as you do it quickly. If you take 1 day or a server reboot between the Remove and the Add, then the data will be lost. This appears to be true in my past trials, but I don't know if it will be true forever. Also. it appears that AddPropewrtyDefinition does not take a Units parameter. So that's a dead end. Bummer.

It would be nice if ThWx could provide us a service EdiPropertyDefinition() but so far we don't have it.

ckulak Apprentice

I'm not sure what you mean by API, but from Java you can do it like this:

Thing thing = ...;

thing.getInstancePropertyDefinition("myPropertyName").getAspects().setStringAspect("units", "kg");

ThingManager.getInstance().updateEntity(thing, "Changed units to kg", true);

Or you need to do it from JavaScript?

alexe Apprentice

Thanks guys.

The PutJSON works, its a little quirky, but for anyone else trying this out the easiest method is:

GetJSON //call this first to get the JSON  in correct format, I tried some others (ReadEntityAsJSON) that gave me trouble

Edit your JSON values

Update 'lastModifiedDate' (usually resides in your JSON at yourObject.lastModifiedDate)

PutJSON

Just as a reference, the Delete and quick Re-AddPropertyDefinition does appear to preserve live thing values of that property. I'm doing that elsewhere, and if AddPropertyDefinition had a units parameter I would use it there. Certainly easier and less dangerous than the JSON manipulation. I put in a request to have units added to that service though.

And thanks for the Java solution as well. I was looking to do it in javascript or some REST call, but the Java might be helpful in the future.

jasong Creator

Alex, since this is doable in Java we can add that service ourselves but only to templates that we control. Or as a tool on a Resource. So if they don't do it we can, but, lets at least let them try first.

alexe Apprentice

As a further update here for anyone trying this, especially when trying to set units or other property metadata, the URL I'm setting in the PutJSON is formatted as such:

localhost/Thingworx/ThingShapes/'+Shape+'?reason=properties%20%3A%20'+PropertyName+'%20%3A%20Updated%0A'

However, as expected, if the entity is open for edit in composer, the units will not be set. Annoyingly, the call will return a "200 ok" http response no matter what the actual outcome was. To force the update of the aspects append '&forceUpdate=1' to the end of the URL.

Of course there are reasons you may not want to force update, but in my situation it seems fine for now. Just thought I'd share.