cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Using ActiveMQ extension with MQTT

dwu1
1-Newbie

Using ActiveMQ extension with MQTT

I am trying to use MQTT to send property updates to Thingworx things. I tried the MQTT extension before but I couldn't get it to work, and I was recommended to use ActiveMQ extension instead. I have tried using the Thingworx ActiveMQ extension - I set up a thing that uses the ActiveMQThing, and the SendMessage and GetLastMessages services seem to work OK (using the tcp 61616 port), however I cannot retrieve these messages by using a MQTT client such as mosquitto. I am using Apache ActiveMQ as the broker. From the Apache ActiveMQ documentation, it seems that for MQTT, the messaging queue functionality is not supported however the Thingworx ActiveMQ extension documentation states that the extension requires a message queue to function. Does this mean the extension does not support MQTT or is there another broker I should be using?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 REPLIES 2
StefanBode
10-Marble
(To:dwu1)

The problem is the MQTT version in the marketplace. Got the same problem with TWX7 and disconnects.

You have to DELETE the old extension and import the new one you get here:

http://support.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/standards/freefull_cs.jsp?&im_dbkey=162654&icg_dbkey=893

I was not able to make an update. It told success, but did not solve my connection problem. Now it is running fine.

Hi Dave,

I'm the creator of the ActiveMQ Extension and I wanted to jump in to bring more information about it.

The ActiveMQ Extension only supports the JMS specification (meaning no MQTT or AMQP).

This information is present also in its user guide.

So, in order to connect to an MQTT broker, you will have to use the MQTT Extension only.

Hope it helps,

Vladi

Top Tags