15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2017 4:58 AM by richardwi RSS
    richardwi Explorer

    Why doesn't maxItems (the parameter of QueryPropertyHistory) work properly?

    Intuitively, if you set maxItems to 10, then you only expect up to 10 rows back from the service.  In my experience, the number of rows returned is about four times whatever I set maxItems to.  In a simple empirical test, I tried a variety of values of maxItems for the same timeframe, and here's what I got back:

                                                                                                                                                                                    

    maxItemsRows returned
    14
    28
    312
    416
    519
    622
    725

     

    Furthermore, I would expect as I increase maxItems, I would simply get additional rows with a later time; this too is not what happens.  I always get new rows with each increase of maxItems, but they aren't all later in time!  I've summarised this below:

     

    timestampFirst value of maxItems where timestamp is seen
    2016-11-23 01:00:00.2241
    2016-11-23 01:00:00.2261
    2016-11-23 01:00:00.2311
    2016-11-23 01:01:00.1802
    2016-11-23 01:01:00.1822
    2016-11-23 01:01:00.1841
    2016-11-23 01:01:00.1862
    2016-11-23 01:02:00.2243
    2016-11-23 01:02:00.2273
    2016-11-23 01:02:00.2303
    2016-11-23 01:03:00.1614
    2016-11-23 01:03:00.1644
    2016-11-23 01:03:00.1684
    2016-11-23 01:04:00.1735
    2016-11-23 01:04:00.1755
    2016-11-23 01:04:00.1795
    2016-11-23 01:05:00.1326
    2016-11-23 01:05:00.1356
    2016-11-23 01:05:00.1386
    2016-11-23 01:06:00.1307
    2016-11-23 01:06:00.1327
    2016-11-23 01:06:00.1357
    2016-11-23 01:09:00.1362
    2016-11-23 01:16:00.2203
    2016-11-23 01:24:00.1574

     

    Unless I'm missing something fundamental, maxItems really doesn't work properly!

     

    PS - I've seen a post by Pat Nash related to this, but it doesn't address exactly what's going on with maxItems!