cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Can I generate a thingmark on/for a non-flat surface?

clindahl
1-Newbie

Can I generate a thingmark on/for a non-flat surface?

I have access to a spherical display system (Science on a Sphere, see Science On a Sphere - Wikipedia ). I have the capability to generate content on the surface of the sphere; it starts with a flat model and gets warped by SOS utility programs in various ways.

I want to generate a Thingmark that can be displayed and utilized the same way that a flat Thingmark is used.

Has anyone generated a Thingmark for a curved display yet?

I would think that someone would have thought of using  a flat decal printed and stuck on a curved surface, but so far I haven't seen any

mention made of that in this community/discussion board (I searched on "curve" and "curved" and "surface").

Any thoughts / observations?

Thanks,

Charlie

5 REPLIES 5
katte
1-Newbie
(To:clindahl)

Charlie, ThingMark can be used for a spherical body. In regard to curved display, it depends on the extent of curve i.e., the ThingMark can be recognized if the surface bend (curve) is minimal. if the angle made by the curve is high then the ThingMark won't get recognized.

-Giri

clindahl
1-Newbie
(To:katte)

Read my post carefully. I have access to a spherical display (SOS). I have the programs that convert from a flat-map coordinate system to the display; the quesitn is actually :

"How can I dipslay something on the spherical surface that can be recognized by the AR app?"

For example, I'd like to have clouds animating on the surface of the globe ... actually floating ON TOP OF the globe, for example.

katte
1-Newbie

If that is the case, I guess that is doable with the existing process. Please let me know you've tried generating ThingMark and doesn't get recognized by ThingWorx view app.

clindahl
1-Newbie
(To:katte)

I've started the process to generate a Thingmark on the surface of the sphere (basically have taken a Thingmark and will be pushing it through the content prdouction process for the sphere (doing a spherical projection using their content tools)).

Main question is whether the spherical projection process distorts the Thingmark too much (too much curvature) for the app to recognize the Thingmark. Worth a shot though. Should know sometime next week.

chcote
6-Contributor

Charlie,

yes, curving the ThingMark can affect tracking and target recognition. It's possible that it could work as well, depending on the size, etc. but is not recommended at this point.

Studio will provide more flexible target recognition options in the future.

Top Tags