12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2017 11:21 AM by stephenf RSS
    jamesso Explorer

Can I use Google Maps API to reverse geocode a lat/long value in a Service?

I am using the Google Maps widget in a Mashup and I can set a location property for my thing that way: latitude and longitude.

Using the Google Maps API (API key required from Google) you can convert a lat/long to an address string. (reverse geocode) Google has examples where you make an HTTPS request as a URL in the browser and then get back JSON that includes a value for the common address string.

I have used the PostText and GetJSON using the ContentLoaderFunctions mechanism to interact with an endpoint that understands REST.

But, and I may be missing something, I don't see how to get the JSON  content that comes back from the https request in the browser via REST. There are no CURL examples that I could find to REST-ify the Maps API usage.

Can anyone offer a suggestion? I would like a service to pass my location property's lat and long to Google at an external URL and then get the location string that I can save as a property.

If this is built into ThingWorx, a pointer to an explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim