7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2017 10:30 PM by mbevilaqua RSS
    mbevilaqua Newbie

Kinex - Installation / RunTime Problem

I went through the documents and tutorials in the Early Adopter Program web page.

Downloaded the Installer.

Created a clean Virtual Machine for Window Server 2012 Stardard (English) in VMWare Workstation Pro 12.

The VM created has more resources than what is asked for in the Requirements for Kinex.

Installed .Net Framework 3.5 and 4.5.

Installed KEPServerEX. (tested with the Quick Client - no problems)

Installed Kinex for Manufacturing. (except for the warning saying that the Operating System was not certified, I had no other problem).

Finished the Kinex installation per Tutorial 1.

Almost finished Connect Kinex to Kepware Tutorial 2. When I clicked "Launch Kinex for Manufacturing", my system never finished rendering the page "CONNECTED SERVERS" (as in the video). Google Chrome presented the page partially, some of components were missing.

I waited for some time and then decided to close Google Chrome and re-start Kinex.

This time Kinex did not openned.

Instead it showed the following error message: "HTTP Status 500 - java.lang.NullPointerException" with lots of lines of log (see below).

HTTP Status 500 - java.lang.NullPointerException

type Exception report

message java.lang.NullPointerException

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: java.lang.NullPointerException

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:560)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:476)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:396)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:340)

javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)

org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)

com.thingworx.security.contenttype.ContentTypeFilter.doFilter(ContentTypeFilter.java:111)

com.thingworx.security.filter.ValidationFilter.doFilter(ValidationFilter.java:22)

com.thingworx.security.filter.ClickjackFilter.doFilter(ClickjackFilter.java:187)

com.thingworx.security.filter.ProhibitIfNotLeaderFilter.doFilter(ProhibitIfNotLeaderFilter.java:119)

com.thingworx.security.filter.HttpResponseHeadersFilter.doFilter(HttpResponseHeadersFilter.java:52)

root cause

java.lang.NullPointerException

java.io.Writer.<init>(Writer.java:88)

java.io.PrintWriter.<init>(PrintWriter.java:113)

java.io.PrintWriter.<init>(PrintWriter.java:100)

com.thingworx.webservices.context.HttpExecutionContext.getWriter(HttpExecutionContext.java:411)

org.apache.jsp.login.FormLogin_jsp._jspService(FormLogin_jsp.java:605)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:438)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:396)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:340)

org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)

com.thingworx.security.contenttype.ContentTypeFilter.doFilter(ContentTypeFilter.java:111)

com.thingworx.security.filter.ValidationFilter.doFilter(ValidationFilter.java:22)

com.thingworx.security.filter.ClickjackFilter.doFilter(ClickjackFilter.java:187)

com.thingworx.security.filter.ProhibitIfNotLeaderFilter.doFilter(ProhibitIfNotLeaderFilter.java:119)

com.thingworx.security.filter.HttpResponseHeadersFilter.doFilter(HttpResponseHeadersFilter.java:52)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/8.0.39 logs.

Apache Tomcat/8.0.39

This is what happen every time I try to start Kinex.

I'd like to know how to proceed in order to make my installation functional.

I have my VM and I can send it (so you can see what is wrong with my installation).

• Re: Kinex - Installation / RunTime Problem
        polinao Collaborator

A couple of things, > Installed .Net Framework 3.5 and 4.5. - I don't believe this to be the reason but why are both 3.5 and 4.5 installed? should be just one.

Do you have the pg admin III installed? it should install automatically with the script.. if you open it, is the database connected? you can right click and click "connect" if it's disconnected (after entering your postgres password).

Milan Thakker might have more insights on this.

mbevilaqua Newbie

1) >Net Framework -> installed both because in all my computers I have both installed. No special reason.

2) pg admin III -> What is this? Is this from WS2012 or from one of the Kinex components I've installed?

3) I have a note on postgres ->  It says the service is stopped, see below:

WS2012R2    Thingworx_Postgresql_Service - PostgreSQL Server 9.4    Thingworx_Postgresql_Service    Stopped    Automatic

But regardless of what I do it does not start. Everytime I try to start it Windows says: Service cannot be started.

Thinkworx Server Service is up and running.

mbevilaqua Newbie

Is it worth a try with Windows 10 Pro? I'm more familiar with W10 Pro than with WS2012R2.

polinao Collaborator

Win 10 is not supported and 2012r2/2008 are the only win servers currently in the matrix.

pg admin III should be installed as part of the kinex app components. If the postgres service is stopped, you won't be able to start the application. Can you please search for the postgresql installation folder (path should've been specified during the install), and check the log file for errors?

mthakker Apprentice

This is caused by a conflict with postgres and Kepware, when both are installed on the same local machine.  I would recommend uninstalling Kinex and Kepware; reinstall both, with kepware first.  Make sure you perform a full install of kepware before beginning the install of Kinex.

If you don't want to do this, you can navigate to and run the following command to fix the broken redistributable: C:\PTC\KinexForManufacturing\PostgreSQL\installer\vcredist_x64.exe

mbevilaqua Newbie

Polina,

In the Tutorial Video the instructor used Windows 7 and installed Kinex in W7. And he mentioned that it should work in W10.

That is why I gave it a try.

I'll do what Milan said and stick with WS2012R2.

mbevilaqua Newbie

Thanks for the helping hand.It is working!

I redid the VM from the scratch, Installed KEPServerEX full first, and then Kinex.2017-04-04_2329.png