5 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2017 9:59 AM by afagan RSS
    bjackson Newbie

Occluding

how does Occluding work?

When I turn it on, it just makes the model invisible but blocking models behind it.  Is this how it is supposed to work?  My hope would be that if a real world object moves in front of the model, it occludes it from view.

• Re: Occluding
        ryano Explorer

Hi Brent,

Occluding is used to indicate that you physically have that model or model item and you are choosing not to render (augment) it in the HoloLens.   This is very important so that based and the line of site of the user, anything that would be behind the physical object isn't rendered as well.   Since when that particular object or part is physically there in front of the user, you're telling the Experience to not "draw" it or anything behind it.  

Ryan

bjackson Newbie

Ahh, that makes sense and is a cool feature now that I know how it works.

Thank you for clearing that up!

afagan Explorer

I agree occlusion is necessary but the transparency of the model gives me the illusion that nothing is behind what I currently see even though I know it exists.  Can the transparency be modified/controlled?

ryano Explorer

From that camera angle, or point of view, since the physical object is in the way of your sightline, you wouldn't be able to see what is behind it since it is a physical object.   That is why it is shown that way using occluding.   However, you can use the Opacity (1 Opaque - 0 Transparent) attribute to do some cool things with a model/model item as well.   It just depends on what you ultimately want to display to the user.