9 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2017 10:24 AM by supandey RSS
    aseaton Explorer

"Failure to return license click check" error when adding sqljdbc4.jar file to tomcat directory

Hi All,

I am trying to set up a SQL Server database connection. I have followed the simple tutorials:

https://learningconnector.ptc.com/video-tutorial/Tutorials/4872/1?locale=en&searchKeyword=database

https://learningconnector.ptc.com/video-tutorial/Tutorials/4917/0?locale=en&searchKeyword=database

But when i try to test the service i get the following message: "Thing [DatabaseThing] is not running". I have tried to disable/enable the thing as well as unchecking and checking the 'Active' checkbox on the general information without success. Is there something else i can try?

Also, thinking that there may be a initial connection issue i tried downloading the sqljdbc4.jar file and adding it to the tomcat directory, then restart the tomcat service. The tomcat service restarted but thingworx did not, this is the error i received: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS189387.

Any help appreciated.

Andy

• Re: "Failure to return license click check" error when adding sqljdbc4.jar file to tomcat directory
        supandey Collaborator

Hi Andrew, does ThingWorx work without adding the jar? Are you trying to configure MS SQL Server as an external data store and not as the persistence provider? Could you add the details on ThingWorx version, tomcat version and MS SQL Server version?

If MS SQL is your external data store, which persistence provider package are you using with ThingWorx?

• Re: "Failure to return license click check" error when adding sqljdbc4.jar file to tomcat directory
            aseaton Explorer

Hi Sushant,

Yes ThingWorx works without adding the jar.

Yes, I have been trying to configure an SQL Server database using a database thing. The database is located on a remote VM.

The versions:

ThingWorx: 7.4

tomcat: 8.1.33

SQL: SQL EXPRESS 2014 SP2

I am unsure which persistence provider i should be using, I haven't yet configured one of these.

supandey Collaborator

Thanks Andrew for sharing the details to begin with tomcat isn't of supported version, with v7.4 Apache Tomcat 8.0.38 is supported and secondly it seems you are using one of the embedded DB, probably that's why you weren't required to setup a separate persistence provider. You can check your existing persistence provider by navigating to Composer > Data Storage > Persistence Provider in case it's not visible just enable the visibility in Advanced > Show System Objects > Done

Once visible you can click on the magnifying glass in front of the Persistence provider to check for the name would show something like this

Now concerning the jar issue after installing the MSSQL extension the jar should already be there so normally you wouldn't require to add on top. You can check that by navigating to ThingworxStorage\extensions\MSSQL_ExtensionPackage\lib\common\

Could you please share the errors you got while making connection to the Schema? Was TCP/IP protocol enabled in SQL Server Configuration Manager before attempting connection to the DB