This is by Carles Coll shared in a post : -
Officially it’s not possible as ThingWorx does not allow to change the base ThingTemplate once saved ,but if this is a need then an alternative is
- Export the entity as XML ( Entity > More > Export )
- Duplicate the XML file ( just in case... )
- Edit the XML file with a text editor
- Search for <ThingTemplate baseThingTemplate="originalBaseTemplate"
- change "originalBaseTemplate" with the desired base template
- Import the new XML ( Import/Export > From File > Entities > Single File )
Good copy of the original post... :
You must empower original content, not duplicate it.
Thanks a bunch, guys!
Apologies for not finding the post before asking my question.
I do have one or two followup questions:
Lets say that I am able to replace all instances of my old template with my new one I now assume that all mashups and other entities still can refer to services on the old template.
Is it possible to do the same thing here, that is export all entities and do a search and replace for my template name? Also is this enough, or can there be references to the template name in the data that has been stored?
You can do the same for Mashups, but you will have to digg a bit into the XML to be sure you remplace everything.
But Mashups code it's less cumbersome rather than changing base ThingTemplate, which by the end you have instances in-memory on server side, but that's not true for Mashups content which are executed on Client Side.